Rate this gaming build (on a budget)

Status
Not open for further replies.

opaquee

Solid State Member
I am working with a 650 dollar budget which includes the operating system since I don't currently have one, this is what I've been able to come up with.
This computer is for gaming, looking to be able to play at mid to high settings on games coming out within the next 2 years. Please see if there is any room for improvement and possible money savings. Also, did I miss anything?

MOBO: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards (54$)

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops ($195)

Cooler: Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks (25$)

RAM: Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory (64$)

HD: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives ($55)

Case+Power supply: Newegg.com - RAIDMAX APEX ATX-802BP Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply - Computer Cases ($50)

Video Card: Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100255L Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards ($70)

DVD/CD: Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners ($22)

so totaling $535 before the OS, which would come out somewhere between 620 and 650

Any suggestions would be appreciated, remember that my budget includes the OS and is $650

Good try at choosing parts, but there's a few things that I recommend changing.

First, since you're on a budget, I'd recommend a dual core over a low end quad core processor. With the exception of the newer quad cores, dual cores tend to perform better in games.

Next, Raidmax power supplies aren't recommended, and a good power supply is important.

Here are the parts I recommend. The total comes out to $640 before shipping, and then there's 45 dollars in Mail In Rebates:

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5300 2.6GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H483FN512P Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
(For just a bit more, you get twice the space and cache, so you won't be limited with space or speed).

Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
(IDE is old school, SATA is currently the standard for all drives).

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
(Solid case with great airflow)

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

Should give you a good amount more power, and it should last a bit longer. Depending on resolution, this build could be able to run any game on high settings or better. Do you know the resolution of your monitor?

Thanks for that setup, the only thing that is holding me back is the video card choice and that is actually related to your question. I am running on 1920x1200 on a 24" hd tv/monitor and was hoping to get a video card with HDMI computability, I believe the one that you suggested lacks that.

Is there another video card that you think would suit my needs at around the same price?

Also the board you suggested doesn't appear to be particularly stable. Do you think I would run into problems if I wanted to overclock this setup?

Once again thanks for the help :)

That motherboard is fine, but I can't think of any way that you'll be able to play at 1900x1200 on a 630 dollar budget. That would take another 100 dollars or so, to upgrade the graphics card.

I guess I wouldn't need to play on that resolution, but that is the max my monitor can handle ^_^

I guess a better way to put this: what card would provide the max resolution I can get while getting the best performance out of this setup given my price range and the hdmi port I'd like to have?

I just got good news and my budget went up to 750 with the OS, so 650 without.

Any changes you would suggest? Particularly with the video card and anything else that would make the build overall better and longer lasting.

Also the board you suggested doesn't appear to be particularly stable. Do you think I would run into problems if I wanted to overclock this setup?

Once again thanks for the help :)[/QUOTE]
That board overclocks very well...where did u hear it was unstable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom