RAM question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoota

Beta member
Hello, I want to buy 1GB of RAM. My computer has two open slots for RAM and I want to know which would be better to buy; 2 x 512MB sticks or 1 x 1GB stick.
Any help would be great thanks. :)

I'd say 1x1GB, that will then leave you with a free slot, should you want even more RAM in future, provided your motherboard and OS can take some more.
Also make sure that your motherboard can take the speed of RAM that you want to buy.

Well I have no plans of getting any more RAM since the computer is fairly old. Are there any performance differences between 2 512MB and one 1GB?

Well if it's DDR2 then yes, as it will work faster in pairs, so then you should go for the 2x512MB. If just plain DDR, then no.
Either way will cost or gain you about 1-2% performance though, nothing noticeable at least.

What's the make+model of your motherboard? So we can confirm whether that RAM will work in your motherboard, unless you know already.

I don't really know much about the quality of value RAM, I'd recommend any of the following manufacturers: Corsair, G.Skill, OCZ. They all make good, reliable RAM. The reviews for that RAM seem to indicate it's ok, though.

I checked the BIOS for the speed of my current RAM and matched that. Then I checked the hp website for my MoBo (Asus P5LP-LE) and it said 240 pin DDR2 RAM. I'm pretty sure they match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom