Ok Laptop for the price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yo1mcool

Baseband Member
Would you say that this laptop is worth the price?

- AMD Athlon 2650e CPU
- 3 GB DDR2
- 160 Gigs HDD
- Vista Home Basic (32-bit)
- 15.4" WXGA Acer Crystalbrite LCD

That for about $335 flat. (tax and discounts included)

:: EDIT :: I'll mostly be using it for Internet browsing... youtube, etc. As well as writing papers on word and such. Just something small and cheap to bring to school to have during class. I don't plan to game with it obviously. =P

Does anyone know anything about that processor?

Is there something about it which is why the laptop is so cheap?

I read some articles/blogs but they were some-what dated.

The cpu is only a single core and is clocked at 1.6ghz. It should be fine for what you need but if you plan on using the laptop on battery power a lot and could put up with a smaller screen you may want to consider a atom powered netbook since they tend to have better battery life.

I have a MSI Wind which I use for stuff like you mentioned and I have been very happy with it. The standard 3 cell battery lasts 2.5-3 hours of battery life while the 6 cell should be closer to 6

3 cell
Newegg.com - MSI Wind U100-641US Black Intel Atom N270(1.60GHz) 10.0" WSVGA 1GB Memory 160GB HDD Netbook - Netbooks

6 cell
Newegg.com - MSI Wind U100-432US Black Intel Atom N270(1.60GHz) 10.0" WSVGA 1GB Memory 160GB HDD Netbook - Netbooks

What are you using the laptop for?
It's hard to say since I'm used to Canadian prices, but I'd think so.

This is the cheapest Laptop that NewEgg offers:
Newegg.com - Acer Extensa EX4630-4922 NoteBook Intel Pentium dual-core T3400(2.16GHz) 14.1" Wide XGA 2GB Memory DDR2 667 160GB HDD DVD Super Multi Intel GMA 4500M - Laptops / Notebooks

It seems like yours is better, and cheaper.

Uhh, what newegg are you looking at?

Newegg.com - $400 - $500, Laptops / Notebooks, Laptops, Notebooks & Netbooks, PCs & Laptops

I was actually able to find some more info on this laptop.

Acer Aspire 5515
- 15.4" WXGA Acer CrystalBrite
- AMD Athlon 64 Processor 2650e (512KB L2 cache, 1.6GHz) < --- not dual core
- ATI Radeon x1200 Graphics
- 3GB DDR2 667MHz SDRAM
- 160GB SATA hard drive, 5400RPM
- DVD Super Multi Double Layer Optical Disc Drive
- Wireless LAN -802.11b/g
- Windows Vista Home Basic SP1
- Six-cell battery
- Note that is does not have a dial-up modem, webcam or card reader. It comes with Microsoft works, mcafee antivirus, and a ton of trial games pre-installed. It also has a 60 day trial of microsoft office suite, the standard microsoft software, NTI Backup 5, NTI media maker, and a dvd player other than windows media player.

Think it would be possible to upgrade the Processor in this?

Think it is worth the money how it is?

I'm not a fan of Acer as I've seen first hand far too many quality problems with them. The price is very low, though, so maybe it's worth it. Upgrading the processor on most notebooks is expensive if it's even possible and it's an option you shouldn't count on. It seems a good price for what it is, just something basic. But if that's all your needs are then you should be satisfied.

I'm not a fan of Acer as I've seen first hand far too many quality problems with them. The price is very low, though, so maybe it's worth it. Upgrading the processor on most notebooks is expensive if it's even possible and it's an option you shouldn't count on. It seems a good price for what it is, just something basic. But if that's all your needs are then you should be satisfied.

Alrighty.

But one last question... how difficult, if possible, would it be to overclock the CPU? Especially since I would be considered a beginner.

Thanks for the responses so far!

Alrighty.

But one last question... how difficult, if possible, would it be to overclock the CPU? Especially since I would be considered a beginner.

Thanks for the responses so far!

Well, in the rare occurance that the laptop's bios even allows you to overclock, it wouldn't do you much good, because of the fact that the laptop would get very hot. And regardless of that it wouldn't even overclock too well.

A person really shouldn't overclock a laptop. They're designed to run a certain way at a certain temperature and that's it. If you were even able to overclock you run the risk of frying your notebook and there's no reason to do it. Laptops just aren't designed to be overclocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom