My 1st PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unity

Solid State Member
Hello all, I've had my current computer for way-too-long and it can hardly play(if at all) any current video games, and is not able to play any games coming out.. So i've decided fork over the money and build myself a new computer. I'm on a modest budget...so i will not be building a $5000 gaming computer..but this is what I have put together. I was just wondering if anybody has any advice on changing out an item, or what not... Thanks!

CPU - Intel i7 920
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

CPU Fan - Cooler Master V8
Cooler Master - Ultimate provider of Computer Chassis | Cooler | Power Supply

Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Ram - CORSAIR XMS3 3GB (3 x 1GB) SDRAM DDR3 1600
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Video Card - BFG Tech GeForce 9800 GTX+ OC
Newegg.com - BFG Tech BFGE98512GTXPOCBE GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

PowerSupply - CORSAIR 750W ATX12V
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

HardDrive - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

DVD/CD Burner - LG
Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

Case - Antec Twelve Hundred
Newegg.com - Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Will be runing on 32bit XP...

Sorry if I didn't lay-out this post right, first time posting and first time building a computer >< Please feel free to ask any questions..and thank you for taking the time to help me out!

i would get a gtx 260/280/285/295 card over the 9800 card.
if you have the budget for it.

gtx 260 isnt much more than the 9800gtx

Ahh, thank you for the response :). I actually got the 9800 at my work for $150(Fry's electronics). I was told by our tech guy to stay away from EVGA as they tend to burn out often, and BFG(or XFX if need be) was the way to go. It looks like the BFG GTX 260 runs for about $250 off newegg ($300 at my work).

Is the tech guy indeed right in saying I should go with BFG > EVGA? If so, is the GTX 260 worth the $100 more over the 9800 GXT+ OC?

Ahh, thank you for the response :). I actually got the 9800 at my work for $150(Fry's electronics). I was told by our tech guy to stay away from EVGA as they tend to burn out often, and BFG(or XFX if need be) was the way to go. It looks like the BFG GTX 260 runs for about $250 off newegg ($300 at my work).

Is the tech guy indeed right in saying I should go with BFG > EVGA? If so, is the GTX 260 worth the $100 more over the 9800 GXT+ OC?

first ive heard of evga's burning up.

bfg does have better warranty, but both companies offer lifetime warranties and cover overclocking and such.

i like evga for the extras you get along with the purchase.
they seem to keep in close contact with their fan base @ their website.

bfg or evga, you cant go wrong, same with some other companies.

evga is allways a lil cheaper than bfg in most cases, but if your willing to pay the extra doe, its up to you.

btw, i love shopping at frys when they are having a sale. great big giant geeks store! lol.

also, that antec 1200 is a beast, i dont have one (i have the antec 300) but i saw it at frys, its very nice.

Haha, great to shop, not so great to work at! Either way, I'll have to upgrade to the GTX 260 if/when it goes on sale. How much of an improvement am I looking at getting on the base GTX 260 over the 9800 GTX+ OC? Also, is this the only thing you suggest upgrading/changing? The rest looks alright?

Thanks again,
Unity

XFX....EVGA....BFG.....All are very good manufacturers.....any of those brands should be very nice

XFX is my favorite manufacturer, but the cards are usually a bit more expensive. So if you can find a card that's XFX for about the same cost as those other brands, then go for it.

Otherwise, you have a pretty solid build.

Few things that have crossed my mind since my original post...

I was thinking of getting my hands on a 65bit OS, and for about $120 more, upping my current ram to...

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB DDR3 1600
Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Also, I was thinking about grabbing another 9800 GTX+ and SLIing them (Or would it be better to buy the 285?)

My question is, what do you guys think about the ram change, the 9800 GTX+ SLIing, and will i have to upgrade my 750watt PS to the 1000watt version if I did decide to go with two 9800 GTX+s?

Few things that have crossed my mind since my original post...

I was thinking of getting my hands on a 65bit OS, and for about $120 more, upping my current ram to...

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB DDR3 1600
Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Also, I was thinking about grabbing another 9800 GTX+ and SLIing them (Or would it be better to buy the 285?)

My question is, what do you guys think about the ram change, the 9800 GTX+ SLIing, and will i have to upgrade my 750watt PS to the 1000watt version if I did decide to go with two 9800 GTX+s?

get the 285 over 2 9800's
less trouble to deal with, and easier to upgrade, (can allways add another 285 down the road)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom