PSU Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asianyeti

Baseband Member
Will Newegg.com - Recertified: SeaSonic OB-S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Open Box

run

E8400 (non OC)
Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
a 9800GTX OC

4GB crucial ram

That is not the psu i have or am going to have, its just a step under the one i have, i just cant remember mine cause its in the shop, cause my comp is peice of ****.

Was wondering so i could know if i needed to buy a better PSU

IMO, those earthwatts psus are over rated. They are good quality and a great value but I have seen their capabilities greatly overstated on tech forums. If you plan on running a powerful video card then i would recommend the 550vx. I have one and I am running 2 4850's in crossfire and an overclock e7200 with no issues.

IMO, those earthwatts psus are over rated. They are good quality and a great value but I have seen their capabilities greatly overstated on tech forums. If you plan on running a powerful video card then i would recommend the 550vx. I have one and I am running 2 4850's in crossfire and an overclock e7200 with no issues.

I agree there. Though an Earthwatts may be able to handle it, the power supply will be stressed a good amount of the time, and that's not a good idea. The 550vx is an excellent choice.

I agree there. Though an Earthwatts may be able to handle it, the power supply will be stressed a good amount of the time, and that's not a good idea. The 550vx is an excellent choice.

Well for one he is not running a higher end video card. Also it is not meant to be a future proof choice it is meant to be a cheap and quality psu that is capable of powering his system. Also i have seen several people power sli systems or higher end video cards with the 380 earth watts (including tech-forums RicanFlow)

It could easily power a single 9800gtx with out stressing the psu too much...it would be fine to run a system like that.

Seasonic make great PSUs and the SS-550HT is one of Ste's picks.

They are good quality. But look at the specs on it. 4 12v rails. That will be obnoxious to setup. All of the load balancing. It really limits you in a way.

Well for one he is not running a higher end video card. Also it is not meant to be a future proof choice it is meant to be a cheap and quality psu that is capable of powering his system. Also i have seen several people power sli systems or higher end video cards with the 380 earth watts (including tech-forums RicanFlow)

This is true but I was trying to keep future use in mind. I think its a good thing if we recommend him parts that he wont necessarily have to replace next time he builds.

^well obviously if he is going to upgrade in the future, or use the psu for his next build he should think ahead and id probably go for a 520hx (i like modular a lot)...but other then that a 380 earth watts would be an ideal bang for buck.

modular psu's are very polarizing, some like the features, but others think its a waste of money, you pay more for less power. I have never dealt with one but I don't see an outstanding need for a modular psu. You can take care of that with smart wire management. In general we don't recommend them here that often unless the OP explicitly says they want one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom