RAID 0 gone after fresh xp install

Status
Not open for further replies.

slickwilly789

Beta member
Hey guys.

I'm a little stumped. Today I reinstalled windows on a WD Raptor. I have two 1tb WD Black harddrives in Raid 0 (Striped). Before the format of C: the Stripe was working good, now it isn't. I had to disable the RAID in BIOS to get Windows XP to install correctly... It's updated to SP3, when I went back into BIOS and re-enabled the RAID the RAID Info on boot was flashing red and only showing one of the drives, I rebooted and the PC Check is not showing the drives, Windows Disk Manager is not showing the drives either. But when I disable RAID again, it is showing only one of them.

Is there something I am forgetting to do?

Setup:
Raid 0 Striped
EVGA nVidia 680i Mobo

I installed the software in Windows, Yes. But, the problem exists in BIOS I think. When I disable the RAID it shows both drives, when I Enable RAID it only shows one drive.

All I did was disable it to get Windows to Install on a seperate HD from the RAID setup.

If you want to use the raid 0 beside the c drive with windows, just install windows, install all updates/drivers, download and install the SATA/Raid controller drivers then set the raid array back up and pray that you haven't lost data.

If you want to use the raid 0 beside the c drive with windows, just install windows, install all updates/drivers, download and install the SATA/Raid controller drivers then set the raid array back up and pray that you haven't lost data.

The problem was, that with RAID enabled in the BIOS windows was not seeing any HD (I have 5). I read that I had to disable RAID, which I did, and poof Windows saw all my HDs. Now when I re-enabled it, its messed up

Have you set the drives up correctly in the RAID bios? What is your motherboard or raid controller model? I know on mine if I enable it for ALL drives then nothing will be seen by windows unless it is in raid, so if you can just enable it for the drives you want in an array, then combine them drives and it should work... Still be helpful if we knew the motherboard model though...

EDIT: nvm saw at the top ur mobo

If your RAID bios is anything like mine that is what you have to do...

Have you set the drives up correctly in the RAID bios? What is your motherboard or raid controller model? I know on mine if I enable it for ALL drives then nothing will be seen by windows unless it is in raid, so if you can just enable it for the drives you want in an array, then combine them drives and it should work... Still be helpful if we knew the motherboard model though...

EDIT: nvm saw at the top ur mobo

If your RAID bios is anything like mine that is what you have to do...

Yea, the Drives were set the same way in BIOS. I never touched anything else. I actually only disabled the option for RAID (basically turned it off). Where I am really concerned is is that the nVidia chipset checks the health of the array on boot, it normally says healthy but after I turned it off it flashes RED. This screen shows up on boot. I can press F10 to get into the "RAID Array" and it is only showing one HD, where it normally shows two...

Alright, you got me thinking when you mentioned did I have the same RAID setup in the BIOS. Well I did, but I found it odd that it wasn't working. I had previously powered down the PC and unplugged the power. I unplugged all SATA drives from the mobo and switched the drives to different ports. I got the error message to go away on the RAID Bios raid check. It didn't show me an error. I booted into Windows and now it is seeing the drive as 1.81 TBs (what it should be. It is showing up in My Computer (can't access the drive) and it is showing up in win disk manager as healthy and mounted.

When I try to explore the drive it says its corrupt or unreadable. So, I tried to do a chkdsk through command while in windows but when I tyoe chkdsk /f it doesnt do anything it just gives me a new command line after I push enter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom