socet 754,939.940

Status
Not open for further replies.

piemann15

Baseband Member
i currently have a athlon 2000+ i really want to upgrade to somtheing faster .What i want to know is cpu wise, If i shold buy a : soket 462,754,940,939 which would be best to have availability for upgrading .The way amd is changing there lineup i need a good review to enlighten me

Socket 939 is the fastest, but you don't have a socket 939 motherboard. You'd have to buy a new motherboard if you want a socket 939 CPU.

Sir said:
Socket 939 is the fastest

what does the socket type have to do with speed? fx-53 940 and fx-53 939 are identical in speeds . . .

the main reason that you would want to get socket 939 is that is the socket type that amd is going to stick with for their 64-bit desktop lineup . . . 940 is going to be for the opteron server and 754 will be for the sempron (kind of like the intel celeron)

not only that, but 939 will have better flexibility in the future

koldapu said:
what does the socket type have to do with speed? fx-53 940 and fx-53 939 are identical in speeds . . .

Socket 939 has hyper transport which is 2 ghz fsb rather than 1600 mhz. It is a little faster and you can dual channel your ram if you have two sticks. That will make the socket 939 faster.

i not really intereted in the fastest but which slot processor i should buy that would be easily upgradable.i dont want to buy a new mobo and chip and i learn later on that amd no longer makrs chips for it. Like what happened with the 754 when the athlon 64 first came out the people who bought them have to buy new mobo (althought they can buy semprons) if they want to upgrade.
939 or 940???????

socket 939 is what AMD will be using for the rest of their Athlon 64's, and yes socket 939 is faster; ThirtySixBelow explained it correctly
I suggest you get an Asus A8V motherboard and an Athlon 64 3500+, or if you want PCI-Express, you can wait for the Nforce4 chipsets that will support it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom