Is this good RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBob

Baseband Member
I haven't really followed the developement of RAM, since the non DDR days. I bought this RAM at CompUSA today it was on sale, for $100 and had a 20 dollar rebate. It is a PNY 512 mb PC3500 chip.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=304799&pfp=SEARCH

I'm just curious did I get a good deal, ripped off or just an okay deal? Also Is this RAM considered crap, or good?

It has replaced 2 Elixer 256mb pc2100 chips. What of an increase in speed can I expect. Bear in mind that my mother board will only run it at 3200 speed max. Also, I only have 2 RAM slots, would it be a bad Idea if I put one of the 256mb chips in the other slot?

Thanks

"Anything's better then what you had"

That pretty much summed up my philosophy.

"IMO Kingmax are the better brand to get for this price

or you could get 2x256MB sticks rather than 1x512MB, run them in dual channel and get better performance for not much more"

The problem is that I only have 2 memory slots on my motherboard, and eventually when I get more money I plan on getting another 512mb chip.

Which leads me to another question, For that other slot would I be better of getting another of the exact same chip, or could I get a different 512mb chip? Also since my Board can only support up to 3200, could I cheat and get a 3200 chip instead of getting another 3500 chip?

Also I have had some PNY ram before and it didn't fail me so I'm optimistic about it. And the Elixar RAM has served me well for close to 2 years. So I'm optimistic.

MrBob said:
"IMO Kingmax are the better brand to get for this price

or you could get 2x256MB sticks rather than 1x512MB, run them in dual channel and get better performance for not much more"

The problem is that I only have 2 memory slots on my motherboard, and eventually when I get more money I plan on getting another 512mb chip.

Which leads me to another question, For that other slot would I be better of getting another of the exact same chip, or could I get a different 512mb chip? Also since my Board can only support up to 3200, could I cheat and get a 3200 chip instead of getting another 3500 chip?

Also I have had some PNY ram before and it didn't fail me so I'm optimistic about it. And the Elixar RAM has served me well for close to 2 years. So I'm optimistic.

Since the PNY stuff is so cheap at PC3500, I would just get an exact match for it for the second slot:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom