New SATA drive problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfwalls

Baseband Member
Just got my first WD Black 1TB SATA. Trying to install on a Intel 915pgn MB, but I think I might've messed something up. I installed the hardware, put in the WD cd that came with it, and turned on the pc. It said insert bootable disk, and I couldn't get it to boot from the cd, so i put in my xp cd.

That worked, and it went to the partition and install screen. I hit enter to format and install xp on the selected partition, but I got an error screen at the end, and it didn't install. So I tried again and just got the black screen with the blinking cursor.

Then I put my old IDE drive back in with the SATA also hooked up, and booted up xp. When I went to my computer the sata drive showed up as E:

I clicked on it to see what it would do and it asked if i wanted to format it. So I clicked yes. There was another error (don't remember what it was), so I rebooted and when xp started up the sata drive didn't show up anymore.

After all that I realized I was supposed to to run the utilities from the cd first, and format and setup the drive that way. Now when I try and do that the WD software says there might be a DDO I need to remove in DOS, and I can't go any farther.

I don't know how to remove the DDO in DOS, and I can't seem to get anywhere else with it. I've tried multiple boot sequences, etc. All to no avail. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

It doesn't do what I need it to. I still can't get it to install windows. I think I need to remove the DDO on it. It's the only thing I haven't tried yet.

It is possible that you need to load the SATA controller drivers for your sata controller during the windows install, some times xp doesnt have the older drivers... I would chekc that first.

Hmm...how would i go about loading the sata controllers during the xp install.

Also, with the xp disk in I got it to start the windows install, and it recognized the sata drive. But it's showing the available disk space as only around 130 gigs.

Here's the message I get when I try to run the data lifeguard utilities to set up the drive.

"the drive that is currently selected for setup is not being translated correctly by your system. the drive may contain a DDO that the operating system does not work with properly. to correctly setup this drive you must first run data lifeguard for dos and remove the ddo from the drive"

Been quite sometime since I saw a drive limited like that, I know it deals with the XP disk not having one of the newer service packs, I think it is 1b, or 2... If you can, try to slipstream SP2 onto a disk with xp, then it shouldn't give you anymore issues... Or wait till another member can give you more information...

Well, I have the newest service pack. I missed the formatting option under windows computer management. I had just partitioned it, and didn't realize I could right click after that to format it.

Anyways, I'm formatting it to NTFS now. Hopefully I can install windows on it after that.

Oh wait. I see what you mean. You're right, the windows doesn't have sp2. Alright, I'll check out the slipstreaming.

I have an intel d915pgn

Do not see any sata install drivers for your board.
Download Search Results!

They must do ide emulation which is fine.

Are you just moving to new harddrive? You could try using Clonezilla to image your drive to the new one and save the installation process. Unless you want to have a clean install which is fine.

Well, I was hoping for a clean install, but my main reason for this drive is the extra room. If I format it NTFS (only at 35% right now) will the drive be usable for storage? Would I be able to install software to it?

I'll use the Clonezilla if I can't I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom