Toooo hot still

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foote

Baseband Member
Ok well I got my video card replaced, and it stopped the crashes with Fallout3. So, there must have been a problem with that video card. Now...though my system still runs hot. Speed fan says this right now..and this is at idle:

GPU: 73 C
Core1 and 2: 48 C

I want these numbers lower. What are my options?

This is in a Dell XPS 420 case...um...4 gb ram. nvidia 8800gt..500gb hdd...intel e8400 processor.

Can I just throw some fans in this case? Or will that be a problem..I have no idea :( :( :(

use rivatuner and turn up the fan speed on the card. put it to like 65%-80%

i dled rivatuner and looked at it, cant see anything that has to do with controling the fan speed. If its in the jumbled mess of things I cant understand in the "power user tab" Then its hopeless.

on the main page click the little icon beside the picture of the video card and a little pop up menu will appear, click on the one that lets you overclock.(cant remember what it looks like) and then it will open up a window and click on the fan tab and set the one that says 3d speed to 70%

on the main page click the little icon beside the picture of the video card and a little pop up menu will appear, click on the one that lets you overclock.(cant remember what it looks like) and then it will open up a window and click on the fan tab and set the one that says 3d speed to 70%

Wow thanks a lot. I turned it on to 70, and it kicked on. Boy is it loud! Do you think you could help me set up some auto thing to keep it low..cuz I just cant have it running this high 24/7 lol...

To better explain what philibar said:
open RivaTuner > on the 2nd section (under Driver Settings), there will be a little arrow by the word Customize. Click it and a hover menu will come up > click the first picture that looks like a graphics card (hover over it and it says 'System Settings') > Click the Fan tab > on the pull down menu, select Direct Control > adjust the 3rd slider > check the box that says "apply at startup" and click Save > click OK.

To check temps with Rivatuner:
On the main window, under Target Adapter > click the arrow next to the word Customize > click the picture that looks like a microchip with a magnifying glass on it (hover over it and it says Hardware Monitoring) > brings up a window with graphs; look at the Core Temperature one.

Edit: to setup an auto-fan profile: RivaTuner 2.0 fan speed & Overclock Guide

No problem :p. I'm too lazy atm to do screenshots as I may be heading out fairly soon lol.

oh i was able to do it based on what phil said :)

wanna help me set up a good um..thing where it can kick on / off at proper temps to keep it properly cool? Or is that not possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom