Should I go with AMD or Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ksingler

In Runtime
Brother is getting his taxes soon and wants me to build him a computer for him and his soon to be wife. Haven't kept up with the newer CPU's or Mobo's so first thing that came to mind was tech forums. Trying to keep the cost as low as possible but with good-fast parts.

Very light gaming will be done on the computer..the most demanding game that will be played will be CS 1.6, which onboard can run, so don't need to much spend cash on that. My brother wants to be able to hook up the computer to his HDTV, is that what HDCP ready means on video cards?

Photoshop will be eventually put on the computer. That will be the most demanding program ran on the computer. That's where I don't know if I should go with either amd or intel for that. Definitely want to go with 4GB of ram though.

Need everything but a mouse. I have an extra mx518.

Case: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB Black /Blue Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
HDD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
PSU: Newegg.com - FSP Group SAGA+ 450R 450W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Supplies - I have this brand for my comp and it's be great. Should I keep this or go with something else? More watts?
Monitor: Newegg.com - Hanns·G HW-191DPB Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors - Will the max resolution effect the ability for it to be displayed on my brother's HDTV(40 something inch, maybe 50)? Will 1440x900 look distorted?
Vid: Newegg.com - EVGA 256-P2-N733-LR GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards - I think this will do, it's HDTV ready correct?
DVD Drive: Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners - Should do the job?
Speakers: Not sure, probably some $30 set on newegg.
Keyboard: same as speakers.

CPU/Memory/Mobo I don't really know, I was hoping maybe some if you could give me a good combo for it. Trying to keep the cost low as possible, but still want it to run good for Photoshop. Nothing over $150 for the CPU I'd say. Maybe something like an Athlon 64 X2 6000+? Something in that range? Mobo nothing over $100 if possible, cheapest bang for the buck would be great.

Also for operating system, can you still buy XP? If so, or should I go with Vista?

Mobo: Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TF720 A2+ AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 720a ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
OS: Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3 for System Builders - Operating Systems

Ya or na?

$148 for a board and CPU that's Intel seems hard... (if you stick with AMD, get an X2 5400+ Black Edition instead of the 6000+)

e5200... with a Foxconn G31AX-K...

Not much of a board though... but good CPU

Thanks for the replies.. I'll run the Intel combo with my brother.

Do PCI Express x16 video cards work in a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot?

What I thought. As far as the rest of the build goes, does everything look okay? Vernong, what are the differences between the black edition and the 6000+ picked out? I noticed the the black edition doesn't come with a heatsink, would this heatsink Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks do the job? It has gotten great reviews from what I can see.

Regarding the video card, does the video card have to be a good card for the video to look good on an HDTV? The 8400GS I picked out is only 64bit and is pretty low end, but it will definitely do the job for cs 1.6

I personally use the Arctic Freezer Pro64 on my X2 4600+... and its an amazing little bugger.... keep my X2 4600+ 90 NM @ 27 C when I see Hardware Monitor (when I boot my rig)

8400GS is good enough for CS 1.6.. if you want extra performance.. check out the HD 2600XT or HD 4670 or 8600GTS or 8800GS/9600GSO....

The Black Edition has an unlocked multiplier, and can OC better than the X2 6000+ , conumes less power, less TDP and can beat the 6000+ if both are OC'ed to their max

What I thought. As far as the rest of the build goes, does everything look okay? Vernong, what are the differences between the black edition and the 6000+ picked out? I noticed the the black edition doesn't come with a heatsink, would this heatsink Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks do the job? It has gotten great reviews from what I can see.

Regarding the video card, does the video card have to be a good card for the video to look good on an HDTV? The 8400GS I picked out is only 64bit and is pretty low end, but it will definitely do the job for cs 1.6

If you spend a few more bucks on the graphics card, you can pick up a 4650, unless you're set on nVidia. That will keep the computer going for quite a while, and it is quite a bit faster than the 8400GS. As for the television. Most newer video cards that can have dual monitors will let you adjust each monitor's resolution separately. Depending on what kind of HD television he has, it may only accept a 1366 x 768 resolution. The computer should fully support the television.

Excellent, thanks 95BlackGA. I think I will pick a better card like you and vernong suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom