A complete PC build disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devvos

Solid State Member
Hi Guys,

Ive just built a new rig today and well im kinda confused at the moment as to whats wrong with it. Here are the specs

EVGA GeForce GTX 260 "Core 216 55nm" Superclocked 896MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - OEM

Biostar TPower I45 Intel P45 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

Hiper HPU-5B880 SLi Certified ATX 2.2 PSU

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-Bit - OEM

Hiper Anubis Midi Tower Case - Black (No PSU)

OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel Platinum Series DDR2

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM

Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7200A 20x DVD±RW IDE Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM

Now ive set the machine up but the graphics card is dead and lifeless and system doesnt even boot up and Im getting no boot up sound. Now im sure i have connected all the jumpers proper and connections. Im kind of stumped I have tried my old ati x1900 to see if that works and it does, it just doesnt boot and my monitor is still blank.
So im not sure what ive done wrong, just wondering if anyone has any ideas, id be really grateful for the feedback. One thing im certain of is that the
pci-e power connectors do work because they power up my old graphics card, just dont know why the gtx 260 doesnt function. Gosh im so confused:(

Have you reseated everything? Have you tried to get into bios with only gpu, cpu and ram installed? Do you have both power plugs into the motherboard? Tried the RAM in different slots?

thanks for your quick response hefemeister:), I will try the last 3 three points you mentioned tomorrow as its quite late here in the UK now. Been on this system all day :eek:. when you say power plugs, you mean the normal power connection from the psu and the auxilary (jp) four pin power connection? if so, I have tried those two together with no joy unfortunately.
I havnt built a pc for 3-4 years and worried my knowledge is a bit rusty. I did struggle figuring out how to connect and power the sata2 hard drive as im only used to IDE and Ultra ata, but that seems ok. will get back to you with results tomorrow. many thanks

all case fans work fine. The power supply is 880w, so really shouldnt be down on power.

Right the pc is booting up now, got a m8 in my local computer hardware store to check it out. Pc temperatures are as they should be, can get into bios etc but there is still one problem remaining. When I come to installing windows it only lets me get so far and asks for the cd to be entered again or it stops at certain points before actually installing, all this is very bizarre:confused:. Ive got one last idea before I rule it down to the motherboard being faulty, and Im just looking for pointers here guys, do you think its worth re-setting the cmos jumper? thanks for all your feedback, it is most appreciated:)

thanks paton i installed on 2gb , its all up and running. thanks v much
just need to set up dual channel now.

Ater Vista setup..... It'll take 4 gigs.

I hbad same issue before and found that solution.... however i never actually continued with the setup, as it was ust to try vista.

Glad you're running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom