Upgrading the AMD CPU...need help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Beret

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I'm still into upgrading my computer :) , and I have a small dillema :confused: ...first of all...I have an AMD Athlon XP 2100+ which runs at 1733Mhz, and a MSI-VIA KT4v motherboard...which only supports up to only 333FSB...and I have a 512 MB of PC2700 RAM. I want to upgrade it all, but I also have a small budget. I want a system that will last me for a while, before upgrading again. So should I get a new motherboard, that supports 400FSB, and an Athlon XP 3000, and PC 3200 RAM, or should I buy a 64bit motherboard, and a 64bit processor...please give me examples of what processor, and motherboard, that they had experience with I should get in any case. Thanks guys, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.:D

if u cant afford a 64, i would wait a bit, cuz the 3000+, imo isnt that good, it heats a lot, and u wont get that much of perf increase over the 64, or the price ul pay.

well my budget is about 400 bucks for the motherboard, and CPU...Canadian bucks though...

whats wrong with your Athlon XP 2100+? I would stick with what you have. If it seems slow to you than your operating system is probably cluttered with too much apllications and processes running in the background. Try saving your data and reinstalling windows or use the restore CD.

if u do decide to upgrade, the Athlon 64's socket 754 are cheaper to get now then the XP's.

and i would suggest staying far away from Tigerdirect.

I have never ordered anything from them, I just used them as a reference :p. I would choose to go with newegg but I don't think they ship to canada. But yeah, go with the 64 bit chip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom