New School Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

marisa406

Baseband Member
Now my school laptops went and died on me. I go from 4 computers to 1, and its my mac at home and really, no offense, something always goes wrong when I try to code on my mac.

I need a laptop that is superb for coding in Java and C++ and that's reliable and fast with loads of space. Anyone know of any good deals that would fit this description?

Er, except that it's a Compaq. I have an older one (~2yrs), and it's had quite a few problems - not exactly the most reliable thing. More reliable than my Dell, but still not that good.

If you can spring it, I'd go with a Lenovo - a Thinkpad preferably, or an IdeaPad if they're more in your price range. From what I've seen, they're built like tanks - I have one from early 90s that still works reasonably well, and I know several people with older ones which have rarely had problems. They're more expensive, but not by that much. Have to pay for good reliability...

Toshiba's are good. if you go for Dell, go through their Small Business section and get a Vostro (same lappy as the higher priced models, but without all the BS that usually comes on them... plus they are cheaper).

I'll give you a single guess as to what kind of Dell I have that's broken down more than my Compaq... Just got its second motherboard replacement today.

Granted, I might just have had really really REALLY bad luck with my Vostro 1400 - note how they don't sell it or a remake any more! - but I'd still hesitate to recommend it to someone.

And when it does work, I love it, it's just the "working" part that it has trouble with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom