My first build - What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jam3086

Beta member
Hi everyone -

My girlfriend needed a new computer, so I decided to try my hand at building one (I've always wanted to do this!). I built it and have not had any problems except the 137 gig HD limitation for XP that I'm trying to currently fix. I will include the specs and the link to the pictures below. If you have any suggestions or comments, feel free to post.

P.S. It's not for me, so if you hate pink then try to ignore the outward appearance and just appreciate whats on the inside. :)

Flickr: john123086's Photostream

Specs:

Case: Apevia X-QPACK2
Power Supply(Included with case): ATX 500W Power Supply
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
CPU Cooler: ASUS V52 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9400 HDMI Micro ATX
Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 Mhz
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Drive: LG Super-Multi DVD-RW CD-RW Player
Monitor: Hanns·G Hi-221DPB Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor

I thought it was a 127gb issue...either way, have you tried updating the BIOS? I haven't seen that problem like...almost ever. Also, I never heard of it affecting SATA drives...

The following was captured from:
Windows ATA>137GB limitation

Although the info is provided by Seagate It is generic and applies to any HD brand.

In order to properly access the full capacity of an ATA interface hard drive larger than 137GB, your system must meet the system requirements described below.

There are three general methods of support:
1) Operating System Solutions for Windows XP and Windows 2000
2) Ultra ATA/133 PCI Controller Card for Windows XP, 2000, Me, 98SE and NT 4.x
3) Intel Chipset Solutions for Windows Me, 98SE and NT 4.x (partial)

Operating System Solutions for Windows XP and 2000

The only current Windows operating systems that natively support the full capacity of ATA drives larger than 137GB are:

Windows XP Home Service Pack 1 (SP1) or higher
Windows XP Professional SP1 or higher
Windows 2000 Professional SP3 or higher
Windows 2000 Server SP3 or higher

The original Windows XP (RTM or Release to Manufacturing) and previous Windows 2000 Service Packs do not support ATA interface disc drives larger than 137GB.

Note: When building a new system, some motherboards may provide new ATA or ATAPI disk device drivers that are optimized for the OEM system. The Windows XP or Windows 2000 operating system installation will pause briefly and ask for you to insert an OEM floppy diskette. This pause for new "adapter" drivers happens soon after the boot near the beginning of the installation. See your system documentation for specifics. These drivers
may have 137GB limitations. Be sure to check for driver updates.

Even with new device drivers, the latest Service Pack from Microsoft must be installed to ensure support for large drives. If this is the only drive in your system and your version of Windows predates the Service Packs listed above, initially, you may still need to limit the maximum partition size to 137GB. Then to download the latest Service Pack for Windows XP or 2000, visit Microsoft Help and Support.

I thought it was a 127gb issue...either way, have you tried updating the BIOS? I haven't seen that problem like...almost ever. Also, I never heard of it affecting SATA drives...

I have Windows XP Pro Sp2 installed on the computer. Thats why this is kind of strange that this is happening. I've already downloaded updates for Bios and I'm talking to Microsoft Techs right now. I will let you know what happens.

- Thinkink: Thanks for the info. I've been looking for that. I'll read it and see if it will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom