page file settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

theghoul22

Baseband Member
Hi. My computer is now running on 6 gigs of corsair ram. Because i have windows x32 installed it only detects 3 gigs however.
I am just wondering how I should configure my virtual memory/page file so that my computer gets the most speed. Does anybody know what i should set my Initial size and Maximum size to?

Thanks in Advance.

I would just let windows handle it, to be honest. I'm pretty sure no matter what you're doing, it's going to fly regardless.

the advice is to go for 1.5x the amount of ram you have but tbh you wont need more than 1 or 2GB at most, but that wont let you use the ram that u can see in windows cos of x32, it would be much much faster if you got an x64 version and disabled pagefile...

Your system is only going to recognize 3.5 GB RAM (this includes any video or other misc. memory modules on the system). In order to maximize the amout of RAM you currently have you'd have to reinstall a 64 bit operating system, since 32 bit has that 3.5 GB RAM ceiling.

Microsoft suggests making a paging file 1.5 times the amount of ram installed on the system.

I'm with everyone else on this. Your best option is to update to a 64-bit. If that's not an option, just let windows handle it and don't worry about it.

But seriously. 64 bit. Soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom