I am SO unbelievably ****ed right now... I need some answers and consolation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamLee0519

Baseband Member
Wow.

So just a moment ago, I was upgrading my new PC (just my RAM, Hard Drive, and OS to Vista 64).

Well, everything went fine, and Vista was in the middle of installing. I had my case open, and some wires from my PSU were dangling out. So in the middle of the OS installation, I decided to close back the case.

Well.. as soon as I gently pushed the wires into the case, one of the metal pins on the wires touched the metal side of my case, and there was a spark. The computer shut down. I tried to boot it back up, but nothing happened. Completely dead.

I'm thinking it was only my PSU that died, which may have short circuited or something, but if my motherboard's dead too, I will be so, so mad. What happened?!?!

I need some answers, please.

Ouch. Well I think you already answered your own question since it sounds like the powersupply got shorted out. In any case the only way to find out if anything else is damaged is to hook up another psu and see if everything works.

Also you can check your psu manufacturer website to see if they have instructions on testing the psu. But I'm guessing its not gonna be good since you had sparks and all.

Agreed, your PSU is probably fried. If this is a new PSU you may be able to return it. Otherwise suck up the loss and purchase a new PSU.

Sorry about your troubles...

Switch the PSU off and let it sit for a while, I have seen quite a few decent quality power supplys have a breaker instead of an internal fuse that can keep them from frying out hardware but still work once the current of the psu is drained. Once sitting for awhile you can try to start it up once more, other wise get a new psu and pray that your hardware is ok.

Switch the PSU off and let it sit for a while, I have seen quite a few decent quality power supplys have a breaker instead of an internal fuse that can keep them from frying out hardware but still work once the current of the psu is drained. Once sitting for awhile you can try to start it up once more, other wise get a new psu and pray that your hardware is ok.

This was it. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom