Help with upgrading ram on Emachine T5082

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
Ok I'm trying to upgrade the ram in my sister's computer. I'm putting in OCZ Gold 2x1gb ddr2 800 and I can't get them both to work. I can put either one in and it will work fine but it won't work with both at the same time. However I can put 1x1gb + the original 1x512mb and it will work fine. When I put both OCZ ram in the computer it will power on but the computer will not send the signal to the monitor and the fans stay at full speed (normally they ramp down 5 seconds after powered on). Anyone have a idea of whats wrong?

Try running memtest on each stick, also check to see if the mobo can support that much ram, if it can, try to run both sticks in another computer. You may also want to check, i have seen it at random times that a psu can be close to borderline in a prebuilt system and it just kinda causes strange issues when adding more ram... Don't know why that happens...

Both sticks work in my computer at the same time.
Both work in her computer when put in seperate.
Both sticks will work when seperated and I put one of them in and have her old 512mb stick in.
Emachines says the mobo supports 2gb.
I'd have to check the psu but the extra ram is the only thing thats been added.

If you have two sticks of similar ram (for instance, from your own computer) then you should try that too. I can't think of anything but the power supply. E-machines isn't exactly a great brand so that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Is there anything else in the computer in PCI, PCI-E or AGP slots? Anything significant plugged into the back? USB Lava lamp? Sorry I couldn't help more, that's definitely a weird situation.

There is a dial up modem that I could try removing. But a thought has crossed my mind. Do you guys think maybe the motherboard can't handle the bandwidth of the ram running in dual channel? The board probably only needs ddr2 400 or 533 but I put 800 in it and it would be running dual channel. I know the ram should just downclock to whatever the computer fsb is but its a cheap computer so maybe its having issues with it. I hope thats not the problem though since there was no option to turn dual channel off.

If I was you, I would try to obtain DDR2 533 instead of the 800... The BIOS or NB on the motherboard seems to be having some strange issues running dual channel with the OCZ DDR2 800 ram...

Another thing you may want to look into is if the system is trying to take a percentage of RAM for the integrated video, try to limit the useage to something a bit lower...

If I was you, I would try to obtain DDR2 533 instead of the 800... The BIOS or NB on the motherboard seems to be having some strange issues running dual channel with the OCZ DDR2 800 ram...

Another thing you may want to look into is if the system is trying to take a percentage of RAM for the integrated video, try to limit the useage to something a bit lower...

Why not 667 instead of 800?

Crucial confirms what I thought "Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 1GB per slot".

In any case I think I'll just stick with the original 512mb and add just 1x1gb. I'm guessing the problem is with the memory speed but whatever, 1.5gb should be enough for a vista computer that is used for web surfing and check book balancing.

Thanks for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom