PCI Express???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Beret

Baseband Member
Can anyone tell me what is PCI Express? What are the benefits, is it better than AGP, do I need a special motherboard, or powersupply or anything? Thanks.

pci express x16 has a total bandwith of 8000 mb/s... (4000 mb/s each way) while agp x8 only has a bandwith of around 2000mb/s

not only that, but pci-express allows for 2 separate GPUs to be placed on the same motherboard to increase video performance, i.e., if you have a board with 2 pci-e slots, you can get 2 pci-e nvidia 6800GTs, connect them with SLI (scan link interface) and you get the power of 2 gfx cards . . .

then again . . . you will NEED the power to power 2 gfx cards that are heavy power consumers

Only problem right now is that nothing supports pci-express, though i would be really curious to see how two X800XT PCie handle doom 3 :D

ThirtySixBelow said:
Only problem right now is that nothing supports pci-express, though i would be really curious to see how two X800XT PCie handle doom 3 :D

yes, i am curious too, but the problem is that SLI is limited to nVidia only (and of course alienware, but who is going to pay $6000?

it will be interesting to see what ATi will do to counterattack nVidias SLI . . .

oh an about the "nothing supports pci-express" . . . what do you mean by that? there are pci express motherboards AND gfx cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom