Monitor flickers slightly, cause for concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakhathsk

Baseband Member
Maybe I'm being overly paranoid because I've had several issues with this PC already, but my new monitor flickers VERY slightly but noticeably in the lower half of the screen at times.

I'm worried something more could be wrong with either the monitor or video card. I use an HDMI to VGA adaptor on it if that makes a difference. The monitor is a Sceptre 22 inch Monitor hooked up to a Radeon 4870. I've tried both ports on the video card and a different HDMI-VGA adaptor but the flicker is still there.

Any ideas what could cause this? It seems like there may just be a small amount of interferance between the video card and monitor but I'm concerned it may be something more. Thanks for any info!

If it is a LCD, chances are that one of the cathode bulbs in it are about to burn out, or the inverter is about to die. I want to place my bet on the inverter as it is a random flicker once in awhile. If it is a CRT... ditch it...

Hello,

What is the monitor's refresh rate set to?

...I use an HDMI to VGA adaptor on it if that makes a difference...I've tried both ports on the video card and a different HDMI-VGA adaptor but the flicker is still there...

Do you mean a DVI to VGA adapter?

Is this a constant flicker or just random flicker. My monitor at work does it too. It's just one of the hazzards of "cheap" monitors. Actually almost all of the 20" viewsonics we have do it.

I thought only a CRT had issues of that nature with a high refresh rate? Also, I think with the way he worded the first sentence he meant that it happens at random times.

Well once you hit 60hz, the monitor syncs with the flash of an AC light bulb, they flash 60 times in a second, we just cant really see it, but you can see it when one thing flashs oposite of the other.. I just didn't know LCD's had a refresh rate they had to be at...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom