HDD problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiZcO

In Runtime
This morning my computer was fine.. i turned it off to take a nap.. i woke and turn it on and i get a NTLDR file missing out of no where.. im like cool boot up error... well did some research i figure i needed a reformat anyways.. when i try to reformat i found out i was getting that error because my motherboard isn't even detecting my internal HDD at all.. but it was this morning.. so ive changed out the Sata cables... switch around to different sata ports and even bought another HDD thinking my current one crapped out.. nope doesn't detect anything.. but my Sata Optical drive works fine and is detected... it just makes no sense how it was workin just fine hours before this happened... i even did CMOS jumper ive done anything you can think of... it will detect my external drive viva USB when i try to reformat.. it only shows my WD External drive...

Anyways my HDD is in my sig..

i bought a 320GB WD internal drive to see if it was just a bad drive it isn't because my motherboard won't detect that HDD either..

Once you removed the first drive the default boot device changed to the external drive. Since you are installing XP you will likely need to create a driver disk in order to have the Windows installer to detect the new drive and install XP onto it.

Once you removed the first drive the default boot device changed to the external drive. Since you are installing XP you will likely need to create a driver disk in order to have the Windows installer to detect the new drive and install XP onto it.

I may have misread something or missed something but when did he say he was installing XP?

im not trying to install windows XP on my external drive.. im trying to get my motherboard to detect my internal drive...

I may have misread something or missed something but when did he say he was installing XP?

i woke and turn it on and i get a NTLDR file missing out of no where.. im like cool boot up error... well did some research i figure i needed a reformat anyways.. when i try to reformat i found out i was getting that error

He is reformatting and reinstalling...

im not trying to install windows XP on my external drive.. im trying to get my motherboard to detect my internal drive...

I dont think that eyeCpc was trying to say that you were trying to install XP on your external drive. He is just throwing out there that since your internal drive was unrecognized, your external drive may have been replaced as your primary boot device. And I believe that he may be offering the opinion that you may need to throw in a driver disk in order for the internal drive to be recognized again.

Does your BIOS recognize either of the drives? Either the original or the new HDD that you bought to confirm/deny a hardware problem?

He is reformatting and reinstalling...

I dont think that eyeCpc was trying to say that you were trying to install XP on your external drive. He is just throwing out there that since your internal drive was unrecognized, your external drive may have been replaced as your primary boot device. And I believe that he may be offering the opinion that you may need to throw in a driver disk in order for the internal drive to be recognized again.

Does your BIOS recognize either of the drives? Either the original or the new HDD that you bought to confirm/deny a hardware problem?

Ive had my External drive for months.. and never had a boot up problem. and my BIOS only reconizes my External drive.... because when i went to reformat i saw it wasn't detecting my internal HDD at all thats when i first realized why i was getting the NTLDR error. but like i said ive done everything even tryed different HDD and it wont detect any HDD at all.. but it will detect my sata Optical drives just fine... i even try to install windows on my external to update bios or something and all i got was BSOD and no luck... i mean this was a night and day thing.. shut it down for 2 hours and turn it back on and this is what i have to deal with :/

Maybe the new drive is pooched as well as the first. If you bought a defect drive and the first failed that would easily explain why both drives fail to be detected by the bios.

Another thing you can look at while in the bios is seeing if the sata controllers are enabled and not disabled. If that setting was changed somehow that would explain the problems with the sata optical drive as well.

Test the drives on another pc.. if they check fine then you have a strange circumstance if your optic sata's work on/off the same ports and cables as your HDD.. you did try switching all that around to see if it might just be those couple ports? or your optics worked in the same port?

Test the drives on another pc.. if they check fine then you have a strange circumstance if your optic sata's work on/off the same ports and cables as your HDD.. you did try switching all that around to see if it might just be those couple ports? or your optics worked in the same port?

HDD's work fine.. tested them already on another comp. and yeah the Optical drive will work in the same Sata port which i had my HDD hooked too... i even thought it was something wrong with the mobo why it wasn't detecting my HDD so i bought a PCI Sata card... well that didn't work either.. and i did switch all the sata ports around too... still no detection :/

Did you slipstream in the SATA Drivers onto the XP CD? If not that is where the problem is. XP does not have built in support for SATA Drives. SATA came out long after XP and even with XP SP3 you still dont have built in driver support for booting form the CD itself. You have to use nlite and slipstream the SATA Drivers on yourself.

Unless you are saying that the BIOS isnt detecting the Drive at all. You say the mobo so i am unsure if you mean from the BIOS or from the XP setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom