Hard Drive randomly fills up ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
Yesterday i got a popup saying i have 3mb of space left, so i cut and pasted my Steam folder from C drive to my G drive, which was 49gb in size. Somehow miraculously an hour or so later it says there is 7mb on the drive.. so then i delete a game on there to free 7gb.. and now it says theres 3mb on there again after a few hours.

What the "£4^ is happening, it's extremely annoying :mad:

Faulty HD on it's way out ?

Could be a virus.

Check the full size of the drive. If the max size is shrinking then it's the drive. If it isn't it's an OS/software problem.

Full size is the same. Just did a quick scan with NOD32, nothing. Will do a complete scan with a few anti virus's later. But as of quick scan, nothing.

Im very anti-virus. I don't normally have anti-virus software running or firewalls installed and im fine, i just do the occasional check once every month or so.

I would of thought if it was an OS/Software problem my other hard drives would be suffering the same issue, there not :confused:

I wouldn't count on this being the problem but I had missing space as well and it turned out to be the system restore going haywire. I just changed the settings and now it works fine. It took much longer than that though.

I can't think of anything else that would cause such a problem. From what you said I wouldn't think it's a virus although it's still a possibility.

Do you by any chance have utorrent running or another upload/download program?

If we exhuast all options its probably a dieing HD or currupt file system.

I have this problem when I have utorrent open for a long time.

But a restart always fixes it.

Do you by any chance have utorrent running or another upload/download program?

If we exhuast all options its probably a dieing HD or currupt file system.

I have this problem when I have utorrent open for a long time.

But a restart always fixes it.

I don't know much about hard drives but if a hard drive was dying then wouldn't he be having a hard time reading files? Would it really work perfectly until you move the files? If that's the case that's one polite hard drive. Waiting for you to transfer all your data before it dies (wish my dad's did that).

Hmm, seems ok now. it lost 4gb randomly this morning.. but hasn't lost anything after that. i'll see how it goes, because i dont have uTorrent running either (or any download manager/p2p/torrent software)

Try to find the problem file. Something's gotta be taking up that space, so if you can find whatever file/files are growing so big, you can delete them or find the problem. I always just go through folders and check size but there may be a program to do this for you.

IS this Vista? If so did you check things like Restore points, shadow copies, and hibernation?

Restore points can be stored for a while. 5 Restore points can be saved on your system at any time which could take up some space.

Shadow Copies is a very common problem. It saves multiple versions of any document you are working on just incase you forget to save or lose you work there is a backup.

Hibernation while off will still save that space. You have to use the command line to fully disable it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom