SSD Drive Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indobos

In Runtime
So do you think this would be a good option for loading programs and such. Or should I wait a bit till the prices drop for the larger capacity drives? Just your opinions please. Thanks:D

wait. They have fast read times and can be fun for an OS but the write speed is slow so they are not that practical yet. The performance for price right now is not worth it unless you have a bunch of money and want to be as fast as possible. In that case grab 2 and throw them in a raid0.

In that case grab 2 and throw them in a raid0.
That would be epically, enormously, incredibly, unimagineably fast O_O

Anyway, I'm gonna get me maybe a 30-60GB OCZ one as a boot drive once they're cheaper.

Sorry compared to standard 7500rpm drives? What are the difference between the write times?

Sorry compared to standard 7500rpm drives? What are the difference between the write times?

I believe SSDs are about 4-5 times faster, usually around 100MB/s write speed for a decent SSD compared to maybe 30MB/s for a HDD. I think. I'm not entirely sure, I may be mixing numbers up.

Yamikotai your figures are way off. 5400rpm drive is normally 60-70mb/s 7400rpm 70-90mb/s and ssd's are anything from 70mb/sec to 250mb/sec (I haven't seen any review that actually confirm the speed rating on the intel ones that claim to be that fast)

Yamikotai your figures are way off. 5400rpm drive is normally 60-70mb/s 7400rpm 70-80mb/s and ssd's are anything from 70mb/sec to 250mb/sec (I haven't seen any review that actually confirm the speed rating on the intel ones that claim to be that fast)

Shows how much I know o_O Ah well, we learn something new every day.

Well there are a few exceptions like the western digital caviar black is faster in quite a few games then the velociraptor which is significantly higher priced and 7200rpm. The velociraptor on the other hand is faster in benches the reason why its so much more expensive its because it dominates the 7200rpm market so not enough competition to strive to get that little bit more speed.

By Christmas they'll be at least 1/3 lower than the price they are now. Once something becomes mainstream it doesn't take long for the price to drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom