Overclockage Finally

Status
Not open for further replies.
i can second the addictiveness of OCing....but my mobo is crap for OCing, cant get past 3.2Ghz without having to perform a CMOS reset.... but then again my 800GTSs go up like mad! ive taken em to 660 core and 1950mem before but ive settled for something more conservative.... ;D

Yeah it was the hard drive for sure now. Who knew overclocking could bring out the faults of a drive.

04-02-2009_1.jpg

As you can see I hit a wall around 4.5GHz. Getting it past there requires 1.5v. Gotta love water. Only 58C at load on 1.5v of power. Gotta start tweaking some other settings. Where's guru I need to see all of his settings.

I can get it to go into my OS loader at 5.15GHz and 1.6v. But 1. That's crazy dangerous and 2. I can only get into my OS loader.

1.5V is insane for a 45nm chip....not cos of temps but because of electromigration....i wouldnt advise running it past 1.4V on a regular basis....

electromigration is where the electrons passing through the pathways after so many years start to wear them down to the point where performance drops and the device eventually becomes useless. After many years of continuous use a processor will begin to operate much less efficiently for the same performance or may not even be able to perform as well as it could when new. Overclocking can speed this up. Especially when you pump more volts through it.

Luckily I don't have to worry about that too much as this is only a temporary computer. I'm doing a major upgrade in the summer.

Even running it at 1.5 volts for benchmarking wont do much. Electromigration happens over a long period of time. The effects would show long after you had upgraded anyways. The way to effectively speed it up is to run with the cpu at a higher voltage 24/7. Even if it is a modest voltage you can cut months and maybe years off the life of the chip if you keep it like that. Of course when you are doing it for a benchmark the bigger risk is out right frying the chip with too much voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom