first build (mid-gamer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it looks like my needs/budget/etc. are definitely pushing me to the ATI side of the "field". I will "convince" my Builder of this fact and continue to research and read comments on this thread. Appreciate input so far, all comments/opinions welcomed.

I personally wouldn't bother with crossfire or SLI. Single cards should run fine on a 55" in my, somewhat limited, experience.

Well that is what I read to begin with - hence the Asus mobo ( wont run SLI) with the 9800gtx+ card in the first list. But, now thinking/suggested upgrading to the hd4870 or the 260 (216 type) video card for the extra 40-50 bucks is a smart idea. Is the original Power supply overkill - based on comments, and reading on the stickies = it is. SO save $$ off the PS and put it into the video card.

I would get the Gigabyte ep45 UD3P Fat.Clown suggested earlier. It is a good motherboard and has had very impressive results overclocking quad cores.

Yeah that psu you listed is overkill, a 650tx or 750tx would be a good choice. Id go for intel cpu and ati 4870 (if you can spend a bit more, the gtx 260 core 215 (55nm) would be better)

FAT.clown - wasn't emailing you for the build- rather to see where in Mn. you live- etc. as I was born and raised there= Bloomington, left in 1985- now in Pittsburgh. So was just going to ask "what up in MN" ,etc. - since it was "off topic" I figured you may nto want it in this thread and I did not want to breach any privacy protocol.

Yea that powersupply is overkill...even with a crossfire setup. Don't skimp out on the graphics card. Go with what's better. I'm not too sure, but my 4850 holds up very well with all settings turned up and stuff...but not on a 1080p screen...only 1680x1050. 4850 is comparable to the 9800GTX I think...so you will want the 260 or the 4870 based on my experiences with the 4850.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom