Should I overclock my core 2 duo e7200 more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: need help with problem with overclock e7200

Nice, man. You must have a pretty good chip. I don't know exactly what my vcore voltage actually is. CPUZ is saying that my max vcore is 1.312. My bios's vcore reading is always .02 lower than what I set it at.

Stainer- are you running with the stock cooler/ heatsink or did you get a different one?
I have an e7200 also and I am considering overclocking, so I was just curious.

i ran IBT oc'd to 3325mhz with 1.232v and got 71C under %100 load, how come my temp was higher at a lower oc?

Intel burn test will raise the temp higher than prime95. Im not sure whar IBT does to get those temps, but its normal for that to cause really high temps.

No, i'm not using the stock cooler but rather a core contact cooler. The stock coolers are pretty terrible on the e7200's IMO. I got my cooler on newegg for ~30 bucks shipped.

I played team fortress 2 today, and when I exited the entire computer slowed to a crawl. What could be the friggin problem here? I just don't get it. Could it be possible that my ram is having issues even though none are coming up on memtest? I also nonresponsive IE on forums occasionally. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps by alt-tabbing out I somehow confused the computer.

3.5Vcore for 3.6ghz?

Why not just pour water all over your mother board right then and there?

That's gotta be a typo . . .

Stainer: Maybe we should've started off with these questions,

1) How did you test this overclock? (besides Prime95, Orthos? Linpack? other?)
2) If Prime/Orthos did you use Small FFT? Blend?
2a) If custom, what settings?
3) How long did you test per program/setting?

and this is probably a stupid question but did you install Vista while your system was oc'd?

Also, does IE crash only on certain pages? or is it at random?

Yea, I meant to type 1.35v vcore (bios) with 1.328vcore in CPUZ while idle. I use prime95 running for six h ours to determine stability. I've been stable under this definition since 1.31vcore. Many programs were unstable until a vcore of 1.3375 (bios setting). I had problems with TF2 up until 1.34something vcore (bios setting). Tom's Hardware recommends 1.35 vcore, so that's where i'm at now. At load my vcore drops to 1.298vcore according to cpuz. I did not have Vista installed while overclocked. I have all the vdroop settings off in the bios and yet I still get considerable vdroop. (.03)

Yea, I meant to type 1.35v vcore (bios) with 1.328vcore in CPUZ while idle. I use prime95 running for six h ours to determine stability. I've been stable under this definition since 1.31vcore. Many programs were unstable until a vcore of 1.3375 (bios setting). I had problems with TF2 up until 1.34something vcore (bios setting). Tom's Hardware recommends 1.35 vcore, so that's where i'm at now. At load my vcore drops to 1.298vcore according to cpuz. I did not have Vista installed while overclocked. I have all the vdroop settings off in the bios and yet I still get considerable vdroop. (.03)

Is that Prime95 Blend or Small FFT?

Better yet, you could probably run OCCT for 2 hours to help narrow the problem down. I generally found that OCCT for 2 hours found errors quicker than with say 6 hours of Prime.

Also, if it does turn out to be your CPU then you might have to watch your temps at those voltages.

Easier way to tell if the problem is with your CPU voltages is to drop your oc a few MHz to see if things stabilize out. If not your problem most likely lies elsewhere.

Though I still think you should loosen your RAM timings to see what happens. It won't hurt your overclock any, until you get down to fine tuning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom