How do i COMPLETLY erase my harddrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnwalker

Beta member
before i start im going to say i know hardly anything about this stuff so,
How do i COMPLETLY erase my harddrive?
I want to know how to do this because my Windows XP completly messed up and then it only came up with a blank screen when i turned on my laptop. So because i didnt have an XP disk, i installed Windows 7 along side the windows XP that does not work, and now windows 7 is going dodgy. So i was wondering if i could completly erase my hard drive so that both copies of windows will be deleted so i can install windows 7 again with no mess ups.
So would i be able to do this? and if yes, should I?

I know this may sound dumb but i dont know hardly anything about this type of thing

Thanks for any help in advance

"and now"...?
Anyway, you'd need to delete your XP partition (which you can do in W7 install), and reformat it, mostly probably as NTFS. Then install whatever OS you want on it then, probably W7 in your case.

Killdisk would probably be a better solution, as OP isn't necessarily going for data destruction (which is what I'd say DBAN is more for). Could also use GParted to format the drive to NTFS as well.

If all that is wanted is a format, the Windows disk can pull that off, with your choice of a quick format or a low level format.

He doesn't have a XP disc, and Windows 7 can only do a quick format I believe. Always best to do a full format; gets rid of potential problems (have learned this the hard way lol...). Hence why we always recommend GParted in the Windows area when somebody asks for a formatting tool ;).

Ya, using windows partition is fine unless you have data you need completely destroyed, then the best option is a hammer and a large nail. Just make sure to delete any old partitions when you reinstall. Its also possible that the hard drive is going bad and losing sectors, which would be why your install is going dodgy.

Misread the OP and though he had an XP disk. :eek:

In that case, GParted and KillDisk would be the best options. Boot and Nuke is mainly for making sure that all information is securely erased from a disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom