1st post! - help needed please

Status
Not open for further replies.

delbrownio

Beta member
Hi all

This is my first post, I did a quick search but couldn't find anything, its kind of a specific question to be honest.

Here goes.

I would like to buy a PC to go on the stand under my flat 40" sony bravia tv.

The problem I'm having is that the only Pc's I can find seem to be Towers, which dont fit in the limited height on the stand.

The main reason for the PC will be to play the Sims 3 when it comes out so it needs to be fairly powerfull I think. I'd also use it for editing HD home videos from my camcorder, so again, it would need to be fairly powerful for that.

Big Hard drive is not that important as I have a 1TB external one I can use for storage.

I've looked into media centres but they don't seem powerfull enough for what I want.

Can anyone make any suggestions? Budget would be £1000 tops, but preferably cheaper

thanks for any help!

Thanks Saltynay,

I'll definately look into those carefully, although.....

I'm not entireley sure I'm competent enough to build it myself from scratch at the moment though!

Do you know if there is anywhere that I could buy a complete system?

thanks

It really is the simplest thing and almost impossible to get wrong I have helped 13 year olds build there own pcs its really that easy, takes me 15-20 minutes for a newbie like yourself aslong as you want most people take 45mins to an hour. If you still underconfident then contact your local pc shop or pc guy in your area and they will probably charge £50 for setup time. Premades in the UK are even more rip offs then most.

Del, building your own really is the easiest and cheapest idea, especially with the people on this site.

I built this computer about six months ago, haven't had any problems with the hardware or anything like that. These guys know their stuff and can really help you get a better, cheaper computer than you can get prebuilt.

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm gonna look into this then and probably try to build one. I'll let you know how I get on!

hey saltynay

dont worry about me starting just yet, pretty sure i'm gonna have a lot more questions before I start ordering stuff, lol

I spent most of yesterday evening looking through those links you recomended (very helpful by the way) and I'm now debating whether to go full size or micro(? is that right?)ATX.

Ram seems to be fairly cheap so I was hoping to get 4-8 gig if I could incorporate it, but i'm not sure if that could be acheived in a small case?

It's been 10 years since I built a PC, last one, I built at uni with a friend, 400mhz P3 I think, with 64 meg of Ram.

These are the cases that stood out for me, but I'm not really sure why? Its hard to tell what you get for the extra money on the cases!

KustomPCs.co.uk - Aplus Case CS-GL-3 Black HTPC Case

KustomPCs.co.uk - Silverstone ML01B-R Milo Black Case

KustomPCs.co.uk - Silverstone LC13 Case Black

The more I look into things, the more I get lost, lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom