random clicking and lockups on maxtor hd

Status
Not open for further replies.

tywilke2

Beta member
I am having a problem with a maxtor hd. I am getting random clicking and lockups under windows xp. I have replaced my power supply and it stopped for a while, but has recently come back. Is it really a dying hardrive or is it possible it is something else? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I maybe wrong but a 'clicking' HD usually means that that part of ur drive is dead. Bad sectors!
When it 'clicks' does ur PC 'hang' aswell, then crash?
Its because windows is trying to run something that is installed over the bad sectors.

Defragging ur drive will cure it as a temp measure cos windows will move any files away from the bad sectors but when u install something else u'll probably do it over the bad sectors again and the problem will return!

My advice would be to backup and get a new HD before u loose something important.
Or get a new drive and use this one as a slave to and transfer everything across.

Yea, it is dieing......back up your files, and if it's still under warranty then send it back and they should give you a new one

chadley said:
I maybe wrong but a 'clicking' HD usually means that that part of ur drive is dead. Bad sectors!
When it 'clicks' does ur PC 'hang' aswell, then crash?
Its because windows is trying to run something that is installed over the bad sectors.

Defragging ur drive will cure it as a temp measure cos windows will move any files away from the bad sectors but when u install something else u'll probably do it over the bad sectors again and the problem will return!

My advice would be to backup and get a new HD before u loose something important.
Or get a new drive and use this one as a slave to and transfer everything across.

i do not agree...bad sectors won't cause your HD to click
I have lots of bad sectors, and windows does not allocate them and it never clicked
clicking is far more serious

and if running something that's in a bad sector would cause it to click, defragging would cause it to click as well (i think)

when this happend to my old WD hd it clicked a lot and somtimes it hung for a few seconds...a few months later it died

(please correct me if anything is wrong)

That sounds just like the clicking I was getting on my Maxtor 160 GB drive. Manufactured in Feb 2004 & purchased in Apr 2004. Dead in June 2004. It was one drive in a RAID-1 pair (with another Maxtor). Replaced them with Seagates. I was such a Maxtor fanboy, too. I still have a number of older ones running in other computers.

I got about two weeks between the first clicks and the last gasp.

thanks for everyones reply, i have run defrag and checkdisk as well as other hard drive utilities and none show the drive as having bad sectors. I think you guys are right it is on the way out, gonna ship it to maxtor and get it replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom