first build (mid-gamer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
OK - I'm and old guy looking to build a gaming computer for my 2 teens - joined this forum to learn and get help- HEEEEELLLPP (my head hurts I have learned so much- but not enough to not ask for help). Have a friend who can build it for me. He and I have picked out the following list of parts. Please feel free to comment- parts add up to about 1K. Dont wish to go too much over this. Obviously, the core i7 would be better. BUT way overpriced , especially when adding up the more expensive parts that you need to go with it, for the performance difference IMO it is not worth it. The setup will be mostly for gaming on - not super hardcore - but wish them to be able to play what ever they want, hooked up to a Plasma 55" TV via HDMI cable. SO I don't need monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. Also - have copy of XP - hate Vista that I have in another computer- but have heard it is getting better. Figured I would use the XP until windows 7 comes out. Comments on this thought process is also welcomed.

Q: should I spend more for a parts to SLI video cards in the future or not? If yes- please recommend part(s).

Q: IS the Q9550 ample ( we will overclock to stable speeds only)

OK - how to move the wish list from new-egg to this thread? Cant figure it out -so I will list out as best as I can.

1) ASUS P5E Deluxe LGA 775 intel X48 ATX intel motherboard

2) OCZ GAMESTREAM OCZ850GXSSLI ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 850W POWER SUPPLY

3) GIGABYTE GV-N98XPZL-1GH GeFORCE 9800 GTX+ 1GB VIDEO CARD

4) SAMSUNG 22X dvd burner model SH-S222L

5) INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q9550 YORKFIELD 2.83 Ghz LGA 775 95w processor

6) OCZ Reaper HPC 4 GB (2 X 2GB) 240 PIN DDR2, 1066 (PC2 8500) dual channel kit.

7) Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3750330AS 750 GB SATA 3.0Gb/s drive

8) COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB Black/Blue aluminum Bezel SECC Chassis ATX tower case.

Thanks in advance - I was not sure if this is the right forum to start this thread- maybe the advanced forum would be better - if that is correct- could a Mod please move it to the other forum.

I am kind of partial to the nvideo set up , rather than Ati . Yes- I figured the lack of SLI capability would raise eyebrows - but that option was more $$, as is the 260 video card vs the 9800gtx+. The quad core vs the dual was purely due to future games using the quad more. the 260 is sweet- but cash is a concern. I wil look at your suggestions more - thanks for the input.

ok - I get it now- the ati will crossfire on this MOBO- but the nvideo cards will not SLi on this MoBO - so I should go with the Ati in case I wish to crossfire them in the future. WHy the downgrade to the Power supply - just to save money to get the higher grade ati ? I was writing this before you posted

I am not sure what mobo you are talking about, but if you want to do crossfire, then you must use intel chipset based motherboard
sli = nvidia
it's either or, not both *the new X58 boards will do both, but those are for the core i7 only

power supply downgrade, yeah save money! why buy something you won't need?

I understand your $ concern, but playing on 55" TV (assuming it's 1080P)
you need a rather strong card if you want all the eye candy turned up,
and the 9800gtx+ is one generation behind the gtx 260

The guy who is building it is not familiar with the Ati or AMD hardware or al least feels it is not as good. Personally I dont care. Can I email you? I am born/raised in MN. Been reading and following various threads- getting some of the finer points now. Will the AMD support the 260 in SLI ( future possible stuff) ? Sorry I should probably know this stuff before I began the thread. The OCZ memory he picked out seems like it has a lot better heat dispersal for an extra couple of bucks. will continue to learn - thanks for your patients. yes the tv is definitely 1080p- so leaning to the 260 card more and more.

OK= certainly think the V-Card should be upgraded - I think the q9550 Yorkfield and the 260 video card is set (different 260's ??). Hard to believe the Mobo suggested= Evga at $130 ($90 cheaper) is the better than the ASUS I picked out, BUT it does SLI and has good reviews. Hence - the reason I am on this forum. Looking into the different hard drives and power supplies you suggested now- thanks again. Anybody else have any suggestions - 3 heads better than 2!!

OK= certainly think the V-Card should be upgraded - I think the q9550 Yorkfield and the 260 video card is set (different 260's ??). Hard to believe the Mobo suggested= Evga at $130 ($90 cheaper) is the better than the ASUS I picked out, BUT it does SLI and has good reviews. Hence - the reason I am on this forum. Looking into the different hard drives and power supplies you suggested now- thanks again. Anybody else have any suggestions - 3 heads better than 2!!

The evga is not better than the Asus x48.

I would go with Ati cards simply because you can run crossfire on Intel chipsets which are better than the nvidia chipsets required for sli. Also the HD4870 1gb is as fast as the GTX 260 Core 216 but is usually cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom