Should I overclock my core 2 duo e7200 more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: need help with problem with overclock e7200

With my setup, using the E7200, I found that internet problems were mainly associated with RAM settings.

Try looser timings first, higher voltage second (in as small increments as possible), or a combination of the both when fine tuning (after stable).

Have you tried running Memtest to see if your timing/voltage is stable?

I ran windows memory diagnostic tool. No errors were found.

I ran windows memory diagnostic tool. No errors were found.

I haven't used wmdt, so I don't have anything to compare it against. Although, from what I've read on other forums it doesn't stress your memory as well as Memtest.

What frequency are you running your RAM at? and at what voltage?

919mhz @ 2.1v. 383FSB, 5:6 FSB:RAM ratio. The ram is DDR2 800 OCZ ram. I have the timings at 4-4-4-15 (default). I ran with this memory configuration in xp with the Vcore on the processor at 1.325 with no problems at all. I just started to have issues with stability when I switched to Vista. I'm attributing this to vista simply bringing out stability problems that existed but were not being represented in actual windows usage.

919mhz @ 2.1v. 383FSB, 5:6 FSB:RAM ratio. I ran with this memory configuration in xp with the Vcore on the processor at 1.31something with no problems before. I just started to have issues with stability when I switched to Vista. I'm attributing this to vista simply bringing out stability problems that existed but were not being represented in actual windows usage.

How about loosening your timings?

You also might want to see what the manufacturer recommends for voltage at stock speed and go up from there.

My friend has the same issues with Vista but was able to cut down on IE crashes by upping the voltage/loosening timings.

Try Firefox as well as the other poster suggested. If Firefox works without issues then it may just be IE.

The ram is rated to run at a max of 2.1 volts. I'm currently running it at this max. I upped the Vcore voltage a step and am not having any more problems with IE. I'm going to run memtest in a bit after I take my online exam and will post the results. I would like to avoid loosening the timings if at all possible.

By the way, do you happen to know the batch number of your E7200? The newer ones don't seem to clock as well as the older ones.

I'm not really sure, but I'm sure it's pretty standard for e7200 processors to need around a 1.33-1.36vcore for 3.6ghz from the research i've done. I ran memtest for 6 consecutive tests with no errors. Internet Explorer seems to be running fine.

I'm not really sure, but I'm sure it's pretty standard for e7200 processors to need around a 1.33-1.36vcore for 3.6ghz from the research i've done. I ran memtest for 6 consecutive tests with no errors. Internet Explorer seems to be running fine.

Right on. Guess that took care of the problem for you.

I'm running my E7200 at 3.81GHz at 1.312vcore (1.296 under load) stable under 24 hours of Orthos (blend and small fft) and 50 rounds of Linpack.

I was able to push it to 4GHz with only 1.36vcore, stable under 12 hours of Orthos (blend and small fft). But Linpack would drive temps crazy on the first round.

Though your chip is pretty good compared to others I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom