OC newb questions... CPU-NB and DDR/DRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antec-User

Papa Chester
I can't mess w my NB freq at ALL.. It won't post.. I tried 4x on the CPU-NB multiplier.. no go..

It also won't load the OS when I changed my DRAM freq from 800 to 1067mhz.

Rig specs in sig..

here's 2 BIOS shots to show that I have to work with.

dsc0001xv3.jpg

dsc0002fw6.jpg

My guess would be that you raised the ram frequency beyond the voltage it needs--other words you need more voltage to run at that frequency. Though that seems like too high an overclock if your RAM is only rated at 400MHz a stick. For right now you should stick to to 800-900 range if you're only putting about 2.0v into your RAM.

I'm not sure about your NB frequency. But I'm fairly sure that depends on the motherboard and BIOS (version) your using.

Maybe post your motherboard name and BIOS version and see if the other members can't help you out.

EDIT:
Forgive me for being wordy if what you have listed in your sig is the same system you're overclocking.

^ yeah, system is in my sig..

Not exactly sure on the type of BIOS.. If I lower my RAM voltage, can I get more out of this? I'm running dual 2G Dominator 1066 Ram sticks, tho (4G total w XP 64B)................ :confused:

First of all with this motherboard, everything is based off of HTT frequency, but Asus names it FSB Frequency. I read that the board's HT link speed must be the same or less than the NB speed or it won't post.

Just lower the processor multi to like 12 and up the FSB frequency to something like 267. And up the DDR voltage to something like 2.0

And disable Auto Xpress, with that it will overclock the PCI-E bus and can cause the system to crash when overclocking.

You can also set Northbridge Voltage to manual, then you are able to increase the the HyperTransport Voltage when you want to overclock. And that helps a lot with BE processors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom