i7 3k budget first pc build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Pain

Solid State Member
this is my first time building a pc from nothing. my budget is 3k, :D woot to tax return's :D . this is what i have put together so far. this is for game's and i don't just stick to 1 game. i play a bit of anything i can. i do plan to add L_Cooling. my questions are 1 is everything compatible. 2 what would you change to optimize performance with this budget . 3 what L_cooling would you recommend. i know waterblocks for this build wont come easy. i cant find any as it is.

Newegg.com - Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe/OC Palm LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - EVGA 017-P3-1291-AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - Thermaltake W0131RU 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified
NVIDIA QUAD-SLI APPROVED 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - Saitek PZ30AU Black 104 Normal Keys 4 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Eclipse Keyboard - Keyboards

Newegg.com - Logitech MX518 2-Tone 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB + PS/2 Wired Optical 1800 dpi Gaming-Grade Mouse - Mouse

Newegg.com - Hanns·G HG-281DPB Black 28" 3ms Widescreen LCD HDMI Monitor 500 cd/m2 800:1 Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

Exos-2.5, Black [no nozzles] - Water cooling systems, pc liquid cooling kit, cpu, video card, hard drive

You must've done your homework, all-in-all a solid build, the psu is a little pricey imo.

That water cooling kit has got to go,

start fresh

Apogee GTZ Swiftech Apogee GTZ Extreme Performance Waterblock the 1366 bracket is $10 if it doesn't come with

get a good pump Swiftech MCP355 12v DC Pump

this is your best bet for a radiator Petra's Tech Shop

I haven't seen a water block for the 295 yet but I guarantee if one isn't out it won't be long before one is...

reservoir is really your choice on footprint, I know there's one made for the MCP355 pump that goes right on top of it, these parts are parts aspire (i forget the rest of his name) recommended to me and I'm planning on clocking an i7 920 fairly high. *cough* 4.5GHz *cough* of course I'll have more than a 3x 120mm radiator but that one will do you just great

anyways, with the water cooling this will turn out to be one hel* of a computer

Or if you already willing to spend that much, go with PC Power and Cooling - probably just about the best PSUs. This one is even cheaper than the corsair

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S75CF 750W EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Or if you really want to spend more (not that you would even need it with 2 GTX 260s):

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling PPCT860 860W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Both these (and the corsair) have single 12v rails, the thermaltake doesnt. Also i couldnt find out the total amps on thermaltakes website, which annoys me, but both the 750w corsair and PC P&C produce 60A, which the 860w produces 64A...all of which are huge.

EDIT: Also, personally i would ditch the velocoraptor. Some of the 1TB drives from WD and Seagate come pretty close in performance. With that cash and cash saved from the PSU i would get another GTX 260, cause you might need it going with a 28" screen.

Your wasting a bomb of money make these modifications;

Don't get the velociraptor its not faster then the WD caviar 640 black in real world performance get raid0 32gb SSD's would be much faster. Use a storage drive like the caviar black for your main data including your my documents, software and the 1tb for other storage or a 1.5tb seagate 1.5tb as it has the best price/space. Use the ssd space for your OS and favourite 1 or 2 games be very quick. If your up for this hit me up will look up some good drives.

Get this psu instead Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Watercooling kit pah there rubbish wait for aspire to see this thread he will set you up with a very nice watercooling setup I have read up a bit but his judgement is a lot better then mine

Get gtx 285 in sli they will be faster then a single gtx 295

This motherboard is better for gaming (2xpci-ex x16, 1xpci express x8 + 1xpci expressx4)
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
P6T is only worth it if your using those dedicated raid controllers which your not planning to by the looks of it

Better for less
Newegg.com - mushkin 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

As a real gamer you should get a decent audiocard like the asus xonar d2x or the auzentech prelude 7.1

I think this guy is more of a gamer then a clocker he is only going with water and that gigabyte will allow him to have tri-sli gtx 285's. The biostar would force him to have that third card crippled if he went down that route ofcourse if he chooses to go down that route I would need to change my psu suggestions.

The biostar has the world record for clocking an I7 I believe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom