Pre-cautions before build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
What Pre-Cautions should I take before I start digging parts out and adding new ones to my PC? I just got my Abit KV8 Pro, and my Athlon 64 3200+ in the mail and im getting ready to add it to my machine and I don't want to fry something because of electrical shock or something like that. I just need to know what I should do before I start adding that stuff? Also how do I install the heatsink and fan without punching a hole through the motherboard? The last time I did it I had to get a screwdriver out and pull the clip over the cpu bracket. It probably wasn't the best way to do it. Anyway this hardware is much more expensive than stuff I have worked with in the past :eek:. Before this I really didn't care if I was taking the proper pre-cautions cause non of the hardware I was installing cost that much.... anyway, suggestions?

it talks about windows 95 installation
It covers all Windows installations, starting with 95.

Chances are people don't use 95 anymore since it's hardly supported by anything. Still, I'm sure the guy was covering all his bases, and let's face it, the article could apply for setups back then as well as now...Things really haven't changed that much in those respects.

That's actually a great tutorial. It's a bit outdated but it covers all the basics, and that's all you really need...

Well, I already have all the knowledge I could ever need to put a computer together I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to shock the heck out of my CPU or something before I installed it. Anyway thanks for the website, know I know how to ground myself before handling my hardware.

yes get a wrist strap and to drain the computer of its current static electricity just plug in ur psu WITHOUT turning the switch in the back on... this will force all the current circling around the case to drain into the ground wire built into all homes :)

Plug the PC into a circuit-breaker plug socket, break the circuit, and yer grounded. (lil trick of the pc trade.) Yer PSU can ground your system pretty well, though I still would not suggest working on a carpet. On that line, another trick (although a bit odd) is to leave the power cord connected but put the prong-end in your pants.

Just don't walk off while your skivies are attached to your PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom