So im considering going on water for my GTX 295.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you link him to a cpu water cooling kit, that has a lovely aluminum radiator and an anemic pump, great...

Ok man you made me laugh on that one. I pretty sure it will cool a GPU or 2 if it will a CPU. I was just saying look around there is alot of cheap ways to just cool a GPU. Link me a place that compares Copper and Aluminum with numbers please. I swear to god I will laugh at you if the numbers are small. Plus the cost of Aluminum over copper. Ever think because its cheaper you can go bigger for same price and cool more? Anemic pump? You mean it has low Iron or just weak? Why is koolance selling it if it so "Anemic"? I am not a Koolance fan-boy at all. Just saying it would be bad business to sell junk. Seeing as how they are one of the premier PC cooling companies. I would say selling junk straight off thier site would be counter productive wouldn't you? Got to complicate everything and assume no one has a clue about water cooling but you.
Anyways Bossman have a look at some of the other companies other that Koolance that was just one cheap drop-in they make.
You could go with one small Rad. 80mm pluss a fan. A small pump, Clear Reservoir and you already have the block. GO to Ace hardware get Tygon tubing and Clamps for high pressure.
https://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=651
Evercool WC-R2 - 80mm Radiator Replacement or Add on Products Model: EC-WC-R2 [EC-WC-RT] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come
Eheim Universal "Hobby" Pump

All cheap if you want to build one. As far as the rad goes there must be a million of them man take your pick. You can get a really nice one within your budget.

well for one rican is a mod...he knows the size restrictions, and also the folding stuff does not count into the size of the sig.

Yeah water cooling for her would be a good idea rican. I think it would be much easier (probably cheaper also) to mount the rad externally and get a 2x120 rad instead of 2x1x120 rads.

I was being sarcastic. I had a tiny Carebear sig that is inflammatory. I LOLED.

Here are your copper and aluminum numbers on metal conductivity.

Copper 402 W/mK
Aluminum 226 W/mK

Copper conducts heat faster than aluminum and is more dense than aluminum so it is able to hold more heat for the same change in temp.

-If you think a single 80mm condenser style radiator is enough to cool a GTX295, which has 2 dies on it, then your nuts.

-Also that pump has terrible performance stats. Less than 4 feet of head, a free flowing max of 79GPH, you put anything in line with it and you can say goodbye to having water move through your loop.

-The fast of the matter is, performance parts designed for water coolers are just that, designed for water coolers. There's a reason why some products are used almost exclusively, and that's because they have the specs and performance needed for what we do.

-To the op, MCR220, DDC 3.2, Whateer 295 block you want, t-line, tubing, and clamps. That is as low end as I would go, remember you get what you pay for.

EDUCATED... aluminum vs copper, etc... - Topic Powered by Eve For Enterprise

why not just have 2 120's going and run barbs and like 4 inches of tubing between the 2 rads? Also if there's a 120 rad with copper fins, a 72cfm fan should cool it off quite quickly, so one would be somewhat out of the question i'm guessing.

why not just have 2 120's going and run barbs and like 4 inches of tubing between the 2 rads? Also if there's a 120 rad with copper fins, a 72cfm fan should cool it off quite quickly, so one would be somewhat out of the question i'm guessing.

Because 2 120mm rads are going to have more total restriction than a single 220 rad.

If it was any other single gpu card I would be alright recommending a single 120 rad, but because of what it is, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable running a setup like that.

Perhaps what you could do is mount one of the fans to the case and the radiator and then simple place the other in the mount but not attached to the rad. I don't know your case well at all so I can't really help you there...

well, with a budget of 300 not including a block, that's a lot of room for some more high powered components which would lead to lower temps. Like a much higher flow pump, also if it's a relatively small loop then I don't think it would be much of a problem, but I'd personally listen to you rather than myself so ;)

also the question of where to mount the pump is a tricky one, because if you want to use the 120 brackets on the top, you'd want to mount the pump nearer to the top so you aren't mounting it on the bottom of your case and making for the use of more tubing and hindering performance, so where you wanna put the pump is something to think about. You could put it in the 5.25" bays, but you then limit yourself to 1 drive depending on the in/out of the pump.

well, with a budget of 300 not including a block, that's a lot of room for some more high powered components which would lead to lower temps. Like a much higher flow pump, also if it's a relatively small loop then I don't think it would be much of a problem, but I'd personally listen to you rather than myself so ;)

also the question of where to mount the pump is a tricky one, because if you want to use the 120 brackets on the top, you'd want to mount the pump nearer to the top so you aren't mounting it on the bottom of your case and making for the use of more tubing and hindering performance, so where you wanna put the pump is something to think about. You could put it in the 5.25" bays, but you then limit yourself to 1 drive depending on the in/out of the pump.

In the case of a DDC with aftermarket top, you could just straight hardmount it to the radiator using a Male to Male G1/4 fitting...

Or you could buy the bracket make by UN designs which allows you to mount a pump to a 120mm fan...

Here are your copper and aluminum numbers on metal conductivity.

Copper 402 W/mK
Aluminum 226 W/mK

Copper conducts heat faster than aluminum and is more dense than aluminum so it is able to hold more heat for the same change in temp.

-If you think a single 80mm condenser style radiator is enough to cool a GTX295, which has 2 dies on it, then your nuts.

-Also that pump has terrible performance stats. Less than 4 feet of head, a free flowing max of 79GPH, you put anything in line with it and you can say goodbye to having water move through your loop.

-The fast of the matter is, performance parts designed for water coolers are just that, designed for water coolers. There's a reason why some products are used almost exclusively, and that's because they have the specs and performance needed for what we do.

-To the op, MCR220, DDC 3.2, Whateer 295 block you want, t-line, tubing, and clamps. That is as low end as I would go, remember you get what you pay for.

Half Truths don't sell on me. I know.
"While copper is a good conductor of heat, it is inferior to aluminum for getting rid of the heat it has absorbed." OH SNAP! **** what's that mean? It means it changes to the temp of what it touches quickly then STAYS THAT WAY!!!
In good sport man we are both right you really need a mix of both copper to suck up the heat and Aluminum to shed it.

Half Truths don't sell on me. I know.
"While copper is a good conductor of heat, it is inferior to aluminum for getting rid of the heat it has absorbed." OH SNAP! **** what's that mean? It means it changes to the temp of what it touches quickly then STAYS THAT WAY!!!

And ridiculous internet myths propagated by idiots don't sell on me.

There is no such thing as a measure for how quickly a material gets rid of heat.

"In this case, air has a much lower thermal conductivity than the metallic heatsink and is thus the limiting factor. HUGE NOTE: There is no such physical phenomenon as to how well a material 'gives up heat'. This is an internet-overclocking myth that has propagated for far too long and will now be laid to rest!

Aluminum does not 'give up its heat' better than copper! Let me repeat this once more; aluminum does NOT 'give up its heat' better than copper. It is true that, in general, aluminum will radiate heat better than copper but radiation is such a miniscule part of heat transfer in a computer system as to be deemed completely inapplicable.

The physical action of conduction/convection relies solely on the two material's individual thermal conductivities, their proximity to each other, and their time in contact with each other. Thus, a pure copper heatsink will always outperform a heatsink of the exact same geometry of a pure aluminum heatsink assuming that both have the same contact with the heat source and the same rate of airflow over the surface. "

Sauce:

And ridiculous internet myths propagated by idiots don't sell on me.

There is no such thing as a measure for how quickly a material gets rid of heat.

"In this case, air has a much lower thermal conductivity than the metallic heatsink and is thus the limiting factor. HUGE NOTE: There is no such physical phenomenon as to how well a material 'gives up heat'. This is an internet-overclocking myth that has propagated for far too long and will now be laid to rest!

Aluminum does not 'give up its heat' better than copper! Let me repeat this once more; aluminum does NOT 'give up its heat' better than copper. It is true that, in general, aluminum will radiate heat better than copper but radiation is such a miniscule part of heat transfer in a computer system as to be deemed completely inapplicable.

The physical action of conduction/convection relies solely on the two material's individual thermal conductivities, their proximity to each other, and their time in contact with each other. Thus, a pure copper heatsink will always outperform a heatsink of the exact same geometry of a pure aluminum heatsink assuming that both have the same contact with the heat source and the same rate of airflow over the surface. "

Sauce:

Contradiction?
Enjoy Benchtest.Com - Water Cooler 1
LOL so where does this heat go that radiates out and away from Aluminum better? Back into the heatsink by some force like Magic?

while as stated in the article, aluminum dissipates heat better, but as the article then says, right after it says that, it's a moot point as the radiation ability of metals doesn't matter too much in the heat transfer of a computer...

L2READ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom