HD Video, Multimedia, Gaming PC..Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
First..thanks for all the advice...

"however, YOUR problem here is that you dont have an xbox, ps3, or other device to use as described, so you're asking how to do it with your new PC. so you need a device in place of the xbox/PS3 as salty suggested, you should build a cheap home server with tons of HD space."

I was thinking of getting an XBOX 360 (just the cheep one) so I could do this multi function...vs. getting a 3rd PC.

So below would be the new config.

Old PC - Backup File storage, music player (downstairs-networked to new PC)

New PC - High Performance stuff, video editing, games & wife's homework (upstars -
networked to old PC) - I would not play computer games on my TV..

XBOX 360 (arcade version $200) - TV Interface to play my multimedia stuff of my new
computer to my TV.

So would this config make the most sense?

I think that sounds like a start, but I would evaluate the pros/cons of going with an XBOX 360. the pro is that you get a gaming machine as well as a networking device to content and that it is cheap. can anyone recommend a media center PC build that he could use in place of an xbox. the pro's of this is that both the xobx and ps3 are somewhat limited in what they can do as a media center. also consider spending $400 for a PS3, if you're media guy you also get a blu ray player and the ps3 is overall a better media center than xbox. with that budget you could build both a media center PC and a primary PC with ease... but if you want to save $$ go with the xbox.ps3 maybe, depends on some sample builds some other ppl may be able to throw out.

others may be able to go into the details of what a media center pros and cons and prices would be, i can def. go into detail on that vs. a xbox.ps3 capabilities.

"Yes you can watch a movie or tv whilst your wife is working on the pc through dual screen. What would happen though is you would need to stop your wife so that you could change the volume, track, video, pause ect. What I am suggesting would be an independent solution. "

the XBOX 360 would solve this problem correct?

"Yes you can watch a movie or tv whilst your wife is working on the pc through dual screen. What would happen though is you would need to stop your wife so that you could change the volume, track, video, pause ect. What I am suggesting would be an independent solution. "

the XBOX 360 would solve this problem correct?

yes it would. and that statement you quoted is correct.

"if you're media guy you also get a blu ray player and the ps3 is overall a better media center than xbox. with that budget you could build both a media center PC and a primary PC with ease... "

- I would agree...but could I not just play a Blue Ray disk on my computer Blue Ray drive
and access it through my XBOX 360 to my TV? I am assuming the XBOX360 would allow
this but am not sure...

"if you're media guy you also get a blu ray player and the ps3 is overall a better media center than xbox. with that budget you could build both a media center PC and a primary PC with ease... "

- I would agree...but could I not just play a Blue Ray disk on my computer Blue Ray drive
and access it through my XBOX 360 to my TV? I am assuming the XBOX360 would allow
this but am not sure...

hmmm, another reason to build a media center PC and store it on your tv stand. you could have a blu ray drive in it and pump the video directly to the tv. im 99% sure that you cant play a dvd/blu ray on a PC and stream that live running content to an xbox/ps3.

we should see what kind of media center PC build someone could put together. cheap mobo, cheap processor, video card with HDMI out (or component with a sound card if you dont have HDMI), you wouldnt need storage on it cuz you could 'get' the content from your main PC once networked. i bet you could build something under $500 for a media center PC. then spend another 1500-2000 on your main pc.

just one person's opinion though, i have my PS3 networked and love it. if i had the time and $ right now though i would also build a media center pc

You would need to rip the disk to the hdd to access it I believe but I don't own one for comparison. A mini-itx build would use less power and can come in close to that price;

Mobo: $60
ram: $20
psu: $30
cpu: $50
gpu: Newegg.com - ASUS EAH3450/DI/256M Radeon HD 3450 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards $20 although I would get this Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100253L Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards for $44
case: ?? one you like, build your own
OS $100 xp

Power wise in the long term it would be cheaper and ofcourse its more adaptable. You wouldn't need an optical drive but you can add one for $20 if you wish. Does anyone know where wireless card are on newegg?

You would need to rip the disk to the hdd to access it I believe but I don't own one for comparison. A mini-itx build would use less power and can come in close to that price;

Mobo: $60
ram: $20
psu: $30
cpu: $50
case: ?? one you like, build your own
OS $100 xp

Power wise in the long term it would be cheaper and ofcourse its more adaptable. You wouldn't need an optical drive but you can add one for $20 if you wish

yea, much cheaper than i even thought. he's right you could rip a dvd or blu ray and then stream the content, but really no point to do that with blu ray because of loss of quality, might as well just use dvd. or stick a blu ray optical drive on the mini tower to run it directly

ok...given that my home video DVD player is an 01 model...I will need to replace soon anyway.. so Blue Ray was going to be my choice anyway...so no need to worry about streaming a Blue Ray DVD from my computer to my TV.

I really did not want to have 3 computers... Guess the main problem is that I can not independantly operate my computer for homework and output directly to the TV to play Blue Ray DVDs & PC content at the same time.

So below look like my options at this point..

High Perf PC (gaming, HD video...wife's homework, Internet..etc.) $2,300 (incl. monitor)
Old PC (Downstairs, music..etc.)

TV Interface Media options:

XBOX 360 & DVD Blue Ray Player $400 - $500
or
PS3 (incl. BLue Ray Player) $400
or
Mini tower (w/Blue Ray Player drive) - $400 - $500

right?

Why don't you want 3 computers? The computer would use less power and be more adaptable to your needs. How did you get that figure for a minitower if you are going by my figures It was only a quick off the head thinking with a quick google around with some searching you could get much cheaper prices. Unless you specifically want a console to play games the pc seems the obvious option.

yes, those 3 you mentioned are your options. i would agree with salty to build a mini tower. xbox/ps3 are very limited in functionality. a dedicated mini tower will provide customization, expansion capability, and will use less power. unless you want a gaming machine too... (is this your way of convincing your wife to get a gaming machine!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom