New Mobo, not i7...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shan1784

In Runtime
I'm upgrading, actually rebuilding my system... I'm moving from a crossfire setup to a Nvidia / future sli setup. I would like the i7 setup but cost is just too much for everything right now..

I just ordered a EVGA GTX 295 and now have my sights set on a new mobo...

I need one that would be excellent at oc'ing my Q6600, that will SLI, and would also like to stick with EVGA for the step up program.

I was looking at the 750i and 780i FTW boards and from what I can tell the only difference is that the 780i will tri sli and the 750i does not. Correct? I don't know that I'll tri sli but would like to have the option, I know I'll have to get a new psu which will be slated to upgrade later this year. I know tri sli with the 295's would be extreme overkill.

I like the price of the 750i though but will it do 16x on both pcie slots in sli or will I be stuck with 8x? How would it be at oc'ing the Q6600, any history on this?

Also, would it be worth it to upgrade my memory to 1066?

Any thoughts?

i think the EVGA 750i FTW can do x16/x16 SLI, i dunno about the vanilla one...

GTX295's do not support TRI-SLI so that feature would not be needed unless you went and got a GTX285/280/260

veedub used to have one for his q6600, i'm sure he'll chime in here soon

i think the EVGA 750i FTW can do x16/x16 SLI, i dunno about the vanilla one...

GTX295's do not support TRI-SLI so that feature would not be needed unless you went and got a GTX285/280/260

veedub used to have one for his q6600, i'm sure he'll chime in here soon

Good to know.. So looks like I'm going with the 750i just looking for the other details on the FTW model...

Should I look at upgrading my memory from 800 to 1066? I'm thinking that matching the fsb of my cpu to the memory would be a good idea.. Is that true?

what do you mean "match" your cpu?

To match DDR2-1066 you would need a FSB of 533mhz...

Your RAM/CPU match right now at DDR2-800 and 3.6ghz

So if my memory right now was bad for oc'ing it may be preventing me from getting past 3.6ghz? Would 1066 give me more room to move?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom