need a PC for a home-recording studio - need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm telling you just get a Q6600 you will never use all it's power. Grab 6gb-8gb of ddr2 ram, P45 and 2 640gb western digtal black's. I used a similar system running ableton and reason in rewire w/ VST's up the ying yang. I played everything live. Not once did I think to bounce my tracks to save cpu power.

I'm telling you just get a Q6600 you will never use all it's power. Grab 6gb-8gb of ddr2 ram, P45 and 2 640gb western digtal black's. I used a similar system running ableton and reason in rewire w/ VST's up the ying yang. I played everything live. Not once did I think to bounce my tracks to save cpu power.

Yes, I totally get your point and I know I will never use the power of that CPU.
But getting an i7 920 rig would actually not cost so much more (over here I'd pay about 300 Euro more, this is taking into consideration the CPU, mobo and RAM costs) as opposed to a core 2 quad set-up.
What makes me want to get the i7 is the fact that I will have something upgradeable in the future.
Apart from that, eventhough I will primarily use the PC for recording, I still might want to play some good games every once in a while on it.

So, yeah, I am thinking of maybe getting the i7-rig I posted above or something similar, unless someone tells me it's not good parts for that kind of set-up.

thats why I asked you if it's primarily for music. If you want to game you'll need a decent gpu. What games are you going to play?

thats why I asked you if it's primarily for music. If you want to game you'll need a decent gpu. What games are you going to play?

I was thinking of COD, Far Cry 2 and The Force Unleashed maybe.
WOuld sometihng like the EVGA GeForce 9800GT 512MB be good for a GPU?
Not that I knnow much about it, but one store was gonna put that into a Q6700-based PC, but in that PC I did not like the motherboard, it was an MSI P6NGM-L.

^ the 9800GT is a good gpu, but the HD4830 outperforms it in some games. might want to go with that. will max out those games you mentioned.

So, say I do decide to go for an i7 920 processor, would this rig be a good choice of parts (apart from the GPU)?
I would also get 2 harddrives of 1TB each, I think.

Would the price be ok, too. Or is this overprized?
But do keep in ming, that here in Europe PC parts are more expensive (the i7 902 for instance costs about 350 - 380 US$ over here, just to give you an idea)

Here is a PC that I saw on a site of a shop in Germany that is specialized in PCs for music recording and production (I laso posted this in my other thread).

* RAM: DDR3-RAM: 3072MB DDR3-1333 Corsair/Kingston/Infineon (original)/A-DATA
* DVD-Writer: Plextor PX-820SA; SATA (DVD-R(W), DVD+R(W); DVD-RAM; Dual-Layer)
* Keyboard,mouse: Logitech or Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse USB an keyboard
* hard disc: 3 pieces: Seagate Barracuda 500GB (32MB [!!] Cache; SATA; 5years warranty); 2 HDs set up in RAID-0
* case: Chieftec MIDI-Tower DX-01WD (dampened)
* case-cooler: Papst cooler 8412N/2GMLE
* graphics card: Asus EAH3650 Silent Magic; 512MB (PCIe 16x; 2x DVI (VGA via adaptor); Video (Composite/S-Video); DualHead; passive cooling; uses one PCI-slot due to Heatpipe-cooling; HDTV)
* motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-DS4 (Intel X58-Chipset; Socket 1366; max. 24GB DDR3 RAM (max. DDR3-1066); 8x SATA/300; 1x IDE/133 (2 devices); 1x GigaLAN; 1x Firewire (TI-Chip; 2x 6-pin plug sockets); 1x PCIe x1; 1x PCIe x4; 2x PCIe 2.0 x8; 1x PCIe 2.0 x16; 2x PCI; 2x PS/2; max. 12x USB2; passive Chipset-cooling; 1x serial; 4 years of warranty after registering)
* power supply: Corsair HX-520W
* Processor: Core i7-920 2,66GHz 8MB Cache In-A-Box

It is from a German site, so I translated the parts that needed translation, I hope it makes sense.

What do you guys think of this rig?
It costs 1530 Euro which is about 1960 US$.

Is it a good price?

I could also change things, it's fully customizeable, this is just one of their ready-to-go offers.

If I should change anything, what would you suggest I change?

are you going to do any gaming? cause that 3650 is not going to cut it for most modern games.

Oh, yes, see some posts above. Considering that I do wnat to play a few games (or at least have the option to) I will get a better GPU for that.
I will check out prices of that HD4830 you recommended.:cool:

But apart from that, what do you think of this build and its price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom