Building a system - Linux base, multiple VMwares

Status
Not open for further replies.

fl703

Beta member
Hi,
I am in need of help with building a new desktop. When it comes to hardware - I'm always lost and I always underestimate my power. My main question is what type of motherboard, cpu, and ram should I be looking at to power my new box.

Since my desktop died, I have been working on my laptop. My laptop is a Duo core 2.0ghz, 4gb of RAM and it can't handle my workload. It's constantly freezing when I start new applications, etc.

My system will be running Ubuntu Linux (with GNOME) with the disk encrypted attached to dual 19" 1440x900 monitors.

My typical usage load consists of: using all four workspaces, with numerous xterms open, many vi windows, a couple firefoxs - many tabs, a thunderbird, pidgin, MP3 player, and a movie in VLC playing.

My heavy lifting comes into play with VMWare... I will have usually four VMWares running at all times:
- Windows XP - This will have Photoshop, Flash, other graphic/video software (not all at once)
- Windows XP - Web browsing/testing applications
- Windows XP - MS Office usage
- Linux - Used for testing purposes

I was looking at 8GB of RAM, but am unsure of the processor and motherboard. Perhaps a decent graphics card as well? I would like my machine to run stress free with the above work load along with some other usage - file explorers open, stickam video chat, maybe one or two more vmwares at times, etc.

I would say the budget is 1500$ for the entire machine. Its been years since I bought hardware like this, so if my budget is low please provide me with a realistic proposal - I can afford more if need be as this machine will essentially run my business.

Thanks so much for the help!

Awesome. Thanks for all the help. I'll be sure to post back when I get it all setup :)

Thanks for the help - The system came out great!!
screenshotsystemmonitoryl1.png

screenshotsystemmonitorge2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom