Modifying a USB cord to add an on/off toggle switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThrowingChicken

Baseband Member
I have a digital media player hooked up to my TV that I am constantly having to pull out and move closer to my computer when I want to add files. It is kind of a pain in the butt so I want to run a USB cord permanently to the media player from the computer, only problem is this constant connection will cause the player to load in USB mode unless I eject it from Windows, but when I do that I don't have a way to bring it back up again without unplugging the thing. Still a hassle, so I thought if I could put an on/off switch on the cord then I could break that connection whenever I wanted without having to pull everything out. I don't know much about how USB cables work, but I can see it is simply 4 wires, two for power and two for data transfer. If I wanted to add a toggle switch onto the line, is it as simple as placing one somewhere on the negative or positive wires? I have seen others add an on/off switch to the power portion of their USB cords, but they were using them for devices that only draw power from the USB but did not transfer data. Example: I am the Hitechnoid: USB on/off-switch mod
My media player has its own power source, will disconnecting the USB's power be enough to sever the connection? Some say it will, some say it won't, I really haven't found a definitive answer. I've also been alerted to a 4-port toggle switch that would sever all the cables at once, but it's been suggested that it couldn't handle the data transfer. Example: 4PDT, ON-ON MINI-TOGGLE SWITCH | AllElectronics.com

Any thoughts?

It may come to that, although the thought of having a safety switch sounds pretty awesome!
SafetySwitch.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom