Help with Booting Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

cichlidkeeper91

In Runtime
ok well I got a new SATA hard Drive that is 80 gigs. so now I have 2 Hard Drives. A 200 and 80 gb. 200 is IDE. I have Windows 7 and XP on the 200 and I just put windows 7 on the new 80. My problem is that inorder to boot windows 7 on the 80 is to boot from the 200 which brings me to the boot manager and it is showing 2 windows 7's and 1 XP. I am wanting to just boot off of the 80gb Hard Drive. Can any one show me how to do that. Please thank you.

When installing 7 on the 80 you forgot to unplug the 200gb sata already set as the default boot device for the XP/7 dual boot seen there. The previous installations were added into the second 7 install's own boot loader as options. oops!

The boot files and mbr entries went onto the 200gb instead of the smaller drive being sata since ide default over sata every time. In order to see the 80gb sata bootable you will now have to first unplug the larger ide drive and rebuild the BCD for 7 along with seeing mbr entries placed there.

The quick solution? Unplug the 200gb ide and install 7 onto the 80gb sata fresh. Hopefully you haven't added everything else on quite yet. Then replug the 200gb ide back in where you can use the F1, F8, F12, or other assigned F key to bring up the boot device menu when you want to boot from the 200gb while having the 80gb sata set in the bios boot order as the default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom