need some general help and advice on what parts to get for a new powerful PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to think about it.
But first I still have to make a decision core2quad or i7.....
I think I will go to that store tomorrow and see what they advise me.

Unless its a small trust worthy store I wouldn't bother. Big stores (Best Buy) around here are normally worthless for advice since most the people don't know what their talking about. And if your a noob you would have a hard time figuring out if they do or don't. I can tell you now if you went to a Best Buy they would just tell you to get the i7 since its new and more expensive.

Unless its a small trust worthy store I wouldn't bother. Big stores (Best Buy) around here are normally worthless for advice since most the people don't know what their talking about. And if your a noob you would have a hard time figuring out if they do or don't. I can tell you now if you went to a Best Buy they would just tell you to get the i7 since its new and more expensive.

It's one of the big chain stores sround here.
Ok, here's what I'm gonna do, I will try to make a decision without their advice, and pick my parts.
Maybe I make a list on here to ask oyu guys if I picked good stuff?

^ lol would the people in best buy even know what i7 is?

But BestBuy has good prices, no?
I been to BestBuy in NY, I think it was an awesome store ! (I didn't go there for PC advcie then, though)

EDIT:

I found this website of a store that build PCs especially for studio-recording use, and this is one of their machines (the one that uses i7):

* RAM: DDR3-RAM: 3072MB DDR3-1333 Corsair/Kingston/Infineon (original)/A-DATA
* DVD-Writer: Plextor PX-820SA; SATA (DVD-R(W), DVD+R(W); DVD-RAM; Dual-Layer)
* Keyboard,mouse: Logitech or Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse USB an keyboard
* hard disc: 3 pieces: Seagate Barracuda 500GB (32MB [!!] Cache; SATA; 5years warranty); 2 HDs set up in RAID-0
* case: Chieftec MIDI-Tower DX-01WD (dampened)
* case-cooler: Papst cooler 8412N/2GMLE
* graphics card: Asus EAH3650 Silent Magic; 512MB (PCIe 16x; 2x DVI (VGA via adaptor); Video (Composite/S-Video); DualHead; passive cooling; uses one PCI-slot due to Heatpipe-cooling; HDTV)
* motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-DS4 (Intel X58-Chipset; Socket 1366; max. 24GB DDR3 RAM (max. DDR3-1066); 8x SATA/300; 1x IDE/133 (2 devices); 1x GigaLAN; 1x Firewire (TI-Chip; 2x 6-pin plug sockets); 1x PCIe x1; 1x PCIe x4; 2x PCIe 2.0 x8; 1x PCIe 2.0 x16; 2x PCI; 2x PS/2; max. 12x USB2; passive Chipset-cooling; 1x serial; 4 years of warranty after registering)
* power supply: Corsair HX-520W
* Processor: Core i7-920 2,66GHz 8MB Cache In-A-Box

It is from a German site, so I translated the parts that needed translation, I hope it makes sense.

What do you guys think of this rig?
It costs 1530 Euro which is about 1960 US$.

Is it a good price?

I could also change tihngs, it's fully customizeable, this is just one of their ready-to-go offers.

If I should change anything, what would you suggest I change?

Thanks a lot guys !

I will check in how far the store I will be buying from here has the parts you recommended me.

Ordering from the US would not make much sense for me, it would cost me more in the end (shipping costs plus taxes and duties) plus I could forget about warranty since in case something breaks I would have to send in stuff all the way to the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom