939 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomc102968

In Runtime
simply really my 939 only has 1 gb memory and hard drive is full is it better to add more memory or switch to am2 board with new memeory

thanks in advance

You'll be much cheaper to purchase just another 1GB of RAM and a HDD than to buy a new mobo, CPU, and DDR2 memory. So if money is an issue then that's probably the better route. However, if you have the money to spend then a new rig might be a better option for you. It really just depends what you want out of it.

You'll be much cheaper to purchase just another 1GB of RAM and a HDD than to buy a new mobo, CPU, and DDR2 memory. So if money is an issue then that's probably the better route. However, if you have the money to spend then a new rig might be a better option for you. It really just depends what you want out of it.

Well, DDR ram is ridiculously expensive right now. I paid 65 ish bucks for 2gb. It would cost more money to upgrade to a new board/cpu/etc, but at the same time, it would be worth it instead of sinking more money into a dead technology.

$65 for two gigs? I paid about $150 for the two gigs of G.Skill I have when I built this thing. DDR is higher than DDR2, but it still is reasonable.

Grab two gigs in addition to what you already have.

If you can find a decent deal on a dual core CPU, grab it. Check eBay, for starters.

You are running a 6800gt. Decent GFX cards can be had fairly cheap, around $100 for a 3870, 9600GT, 4830.

Hard drives have got crazy cheap nowadays.

Again, it depends on your budget. Since you have the basics already (case, PSU, hard drive, opticals), a small budget may let you go with a newer generation of internals.

I paid 190 bucks for my 2x 512mb sticks when I built my current machine, I know all about how expensive RAM was. ;) I was saying, in comparison to the dirt cheap DDR2 prices, it's expensive.

EDIT: It was actually 190 for my CPU, and 140 for my RAM. Still, 140 for 1gb...lol.

It is pretty hard to even find a dual core 939 proc. I know I have tried. When you do find one the price is so high you may as well save the money for a new build.

I have seen some pretty decent socket 775 builds with mb, cpu, ram, psu and vid card for around $500 posted lately.

Spending any more than $100 unless it is for a video card you can use later on this machine would be a waste of money in my opinion.

I've also priced out a good AMD build for under 400. ;)

And I second what hef said, if it's not something you can use later, there's really no point to upgrading this machine.

I paid 190 bucks for my 2x 512mb sticks when I built my current machine, I know all about how expensive RAM was. I was saying, in comparison to the dirt cheap DDR2 prices, it's expensive.

EDIT: It was actually 190 for my CPU, and 140 for my RAM. Still, 140 for 1gb...lol.

My 939 build i spent 200 on 2x512 ocz's, but they are **** good dimm's, overclocked good too.

I would take the hdd, case, psu (if it is sufficient), and optical drive(s), buy a new mobo, ram, and cpu. Then you could decide if you want a new gpu or if your fine with what you have.

thanks all

considering it no longer my gaming rig ( my quad core is) i think i try 1 gig of ram first $32 from newegg

again thanks
tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom