Should I overclock my core 2 duo e7200 more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainer711

In Runtime
I've currently got my e7200 running at 3.6ghz with a 1.325vcore with 56C load temp (speedfan) or 50C load temp (realtemp) at a 75F ambient temperature. If I set the fsb to where I get 3.8ghz I will be able to run a ram:fsb ratio at 1:1 instead of 5:6, but my temps will likely go up and I will have to probably increase the vcore to somewhere around 1.365. My current ram is OCZ DDR 2 800 which is currently running at 920mhz at 4-4-4-12 timings. If I were to run a 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio my ram would probably be running at 810 mhz. Would all these settings be alright for 24/7 use? Having my processor running at 3.8ghz would be pretty awesome. I would probably be at 1.365vcore and 60C load according to speefan, but this is just an estimate.

Update: I tried running the processor at 3.83ghz with a 1.3625 vcore and received errors in prime95. I think i'm just going to stick to 3.6ghz. I don't want to put too much strain on the processor.

What would you consider safe temps? I can probably run 3.8 ghz at 62C load speedfan 57C realtemp, but i'd have to have the vcore at 1.375.

62 load is getting up there. And if you're already brinking on unstable I wouldn't go much further at all.

it doesnt matter if your temps get in the high range when you stress your CPU, no other program is gonna stress it more than the stress testers so i doubt the termp is gonna go above 50 whilst doing normal things like gaming, so id take it up to get the 1:1 ratio tbh.

nevermind, not stable @3.8 until too high of vcore (1.385) and an increased northbridge.

Aight, nevermind. The computer is not stable at the vcore, even with an added bump to the northbridge. The performance gain of 200mhz is not worth upping the vcore and northbridge to such ridiculous levels.

With the E7200's it really depends on the batch, and more so the specific processor.

Not sure if you're still willing to try, but you might want to try running Memtest or loosening your RAM timings to see if that helps.

need help with problem with overclock e7200

I'm at 3.6ghz with my e7200 with 1.3375Vcore. I've been stable on prime95 since 1.31something Vcore but have had various program related problems that have problems that forced me to up the voltage. These problems were eradicated at 1.325Vcore. At this voltage I only had problems with IE. I am now at another voltage bump higher and don't know what i'll do if I have problems with IE. If it is a problem with my overclock settings what is most likely the culprit? Would it most likely be the vcore or the northbridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom