looking for a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seloce

In Runtime
Does anyone know of a really good place to purchase a barebones laptop? And by bare bones I mean BARE BONES. I want the chasis, the LCD, maybe the processor, and (if possible) a slot for a mobile gfx card.

I've been looking through the prefabs and I just don't want to pay for a lot of things that I'm not going to use and will replace (windows os and software etc etc).

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Just so you know, I intend on using this for programming...so it doesn't have to be a power house but at the same time I don't want to sit for hours while a program compiles.

yeah, I would also want to know the same thing... I want the laptop, but then I wanna buy the "guts"

after doing some research...

asus has a barebones laptop that they call the D1. I've found it on pricewatch for $650. It has everything but the cpu, ram, and the hard drive.

I think I'm going to call the prefab companies tomorrow and see if they even offer bare bones systems.

sorry. I should clarify. the asus degatto d1 is a "desktop replacement". it's slightly larger than a standard laptop and uses a desktop processor and ram. however, it uses a laptop hard drive (capped at 4200 rpm).

the death stroke, for me anyway, is that it has no internal battery. you can buy an external battery for mobile use...but that's not quite what I'm going for.

read for more info:
http://www.sfftech.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=352

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom