Computer turns off every 10-15 min

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakhathsk

Baseband Member
I'm running Vista home edition 64 bit. No special apps running aside from internet explorer. My PC turns itself off every 10-15 minutes or so. When it goes off sometimes it will attempt to reboot itself again and again until I turn it off manually.

The CPU Temp idles at around 28C, same with the Harddrive. My Radeon 4870 idles at around 46C.

Could this be a heat issue? I'm using a Casegears ECO-Element 80 Plus power supply. It seems to run very hot and doesn't seem to have a fan(I guess I should have looked into this brand more)

Is the power supply overheating perhaps? I don't know what temp it gets to but it is definitely hot to the touch when this starts happening.

Hello,

That PSU has a 120mm fan on the underside. Make sure the fan is operating.

Does this problem occur when booted into Safe Mode?

Hi Alvie, thanks for the info. the PC has been on for over an hour now without turning off so thats a good sign. The bad thing is (And I failed to mention that I was crossfiring in the original post) I had to uncrossfire my 4870s and unplug one of them from the power supply.

My assumption now is that the power supply is insufficient for crossfiring two 4870s, am I correct in this? Thanks I appreciate it!

It seems to be a good hint as to if it is the PSU, seems like the both together was overloading the PSU to a point where it kicked in a safety feature... That is better than the PSU just going up in smoke with the rest of the system, but to make sure it isn't the card it self, swap the cards around and leave one out still, just to rule the card it self out...

Well it lasted over an hour with just one video card plugged in, then the same thing happened. It powered off for no apparent reason then tried to reboot itself. Not sure what the deal is now. I'll try the other video card alone and see if it stays on when I get home later.

My buddy at work says you need a 1000 or more Watt power supply to crossfire two 4870s, is this right?

Do you have any recommendations for a good PSU Phil? This is probably the area about PC building in general that I have the least knowledge in (and it seems to be biting me in the arse now) I appreciate any insight you can give!

Do you have any recommendations for a good PSU Phil? This is probably the area about PC building in general that I have the least knowledge in (and it seems to be biting me in the arse now) I appreciate any insight you can give!

happy to help, but how much you want to spend? a good psu for 2 4870's would be:

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

and if that's too much:

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom