Brutal slowdown on my Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

saattwoo

Beta member
Hi there,

My laptop has never been the best but always reliable. Tonight I tried to install Nero and my new external DVD writer and I have experienced a huge slowdown. Even sounds for the pop-up blocker are skipping as is the intro theme. I can't play any music without it skipping.

I have removed Nero but it was only 536 mb and my hardrive stll has 10GB out of 20GB left.

Please help, perhaps I need to run HJT to find the problem? I have just used CC cleaner to clean my registry and only 26MB was taken away and so I don't know what to do.

Please Help!!!

Doubt Nero is the issue, IMO it is probably the external drive. Have you tried removing it to see if the speed increases?

Thank you for that guys. How do I run a memtest please? I searched it and I followed some steps and I ended up burning a CD with a BOOT folder?

Thanks again,

Sean

I have removed the exernal drive and I've cleaned up some programs that don't run, run ad-aware, CC cleaner and still really slow. Yesterday, iTunes played properly, today, I can't listen to a song at all.

Cheers

Hi there,

ran memtest86+ but it cut out and the computer shutdown suddenly when PASS read about 75%. Ran it again and exactly the same thing. I then turned on my computer and it loaded an initializaiton at the beginning and is still running really slow. Maybe I didn't do it right?

There are a myriad of reasons why your system is slow such as driver conflicts or driver corruption, infections, heat issues, software conflicts, etc. Have you attempted to boot into Safe Mode and try to scan for infections?

Another standard diagnostic step is as parsalian points out is to do a harddrive diagnostics. Your HD manufacturer will supply a free utility that you run from your PC. Seagates Sea Tools will work with many brands.

Launch EventVwr.msc from a Run box; or open “Administrative Tools” in the Control Panel then launch Event Viewer. Tell us if there are any Red Xs or Yellow Triangles and where.

Again, from the Run Box type in ChkDsk and hit Okay. On step 2 tell us if it says "recovering lost files."

Did you have this problem prior to your external drive? You said you removed, how? Physically or did it come with any software? Lexluethar hunch may be the right one.

Here are the steps to memtest and you have already done a few (I was tired of constantly typing them out so I made a template! :) )

1. Go to Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool and download the latest ISO version. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. The test will take over. For some people the CD/DVD ROM drive must be placed as First Bootable in the BIOS.

4. Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

5. If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

6. Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test.

* If you get errors let us know. Another thing you can do is run your system with only one stick and see if the issues continue; switch out the sticks and see what happens.

Hi GoodNews,

I have run the First and second diagnostics and on the Chkdsk the window came back with 'There are errors on the disk but Windows will not fix them'

In terms of memtest, It won't run a complete test, it just shuts down when pass is at around 74%.

I removed the drive physicall using the remove hardware tool and everything was fine taking it out but I'm noticing that it still shows up in My Computer/Explore. I'm unsure if I ned to go to add/remove hardware but I will give that a try as well.

cheers

Alright let me try to see if i can clear some things up.

You couldnt have installed Nero to a external DVD Writer. It doesnt contain a OS. Last time i checked it was just a burner in a enclosure that you attached to your system. Which is where you install the software to.

Now there could be the fact that Nero itself is a heavy program why you cuold have slowdown. It could be trying to burn to a external device which takes longer than using a internal device.

So first we need system specs. What is the make, model, CPU, RAM AMount and all of that info on your system. Without this everything said is useless cause we dont even know how fast the system is in the first place.

Next i would say shut down the system and remove the external device. Reboot. Does it pick up speed? No? Then remove Nero. Reboot. Did it pick up speed?

give us that info and we can help.

Alright so, this is an Acer TravelMate 2420, Intel Centrino 1.7Mghz, 512 ram. First, I plugged in my external DVD writer that I just bought in the hopes of burning (mine's broken for burning) a new movie. It wasn't showing up properly in My Computer and so I thought I should install nero because the disk came with the Writer and so it could have the drivers on it. I Installed Nero, and almost as soon as I hit Finish, I then experienced a huge, skipping- mouse type of slowdown. I used the remove hardware toolbar icon to remove the DVD drive. and rebooted. I uninstalled Nero and rebooted. I went through add/remove software and took out some unnecessary programs to clean up space. Rebooted. I have run Ad-Aware, Avira, spyware Terminator, CC Cleaner, Defrag, Disk Cleanup. And rebooted after each. I have run memtest twice and each time my computer shutsdown competely at 74% Pass level. And it is still just as slow.

The moment before I started with the DVD Writer, I was able to have four tabs open on internet explorer, my Thunderbird mail system running, two or three open office docs open and still be able to either listen to iTunes or watch a YouTube video. Now, I cannot even load Internet Explorer in less than 30 seconds.I need to exhaust the software possiblities otherwise I'll send it back to the Manufacturer under the extended Warrenty as it is running slightly hot.

Thank you for your help and suggestions. Is there anything else I can try?

Cheers

If it is under warranty send it in, beacuse if the ram didnt pass memtest it needs replacing, same for the hd!! Last resource its a clean windows install

This just sounds like the system cant handle burning to the external at the same time as doing other things.

With only having 512MB of RAM i would not be surprised if this was the case. Even returning it and getting a different one will present you with the same issues.

You will have to go to

Memory upgrades, flash media, and usb storage at Crucial.com

See if there is anyway you can upgrade the amount of RAM you have. With 512MB and trying to use a external you will see slowdown no matter what you are doing.

Try burning the movie itself and not doing anything else.

Thank you very much guys, I have sent the machine in and I will look into extra memory. You've been a great help!

All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom