New computer but screen freezes during game play

Status
Not open for further replies.

gumper

Solid State Member
I dont know where to post this question so I will start here.

Im a noob who built my (first time build) computer myself. Sometimes some and sometimes a lot, vid games freeze and I have to restart the computer to get out of it. Playing BF 2/2142. It only freezes during game play. I don't know if its my vid card or bad ram or what. How would I trouble shoot this problem? I might be asking a lot but any help is appreciated.

I thought having higher end components would have solved my gaming problems from those days of playing on an old laptop. lol

System:
EVGA 790i MoBo, Intel Core 2 Quad 9550, BFG 280 GTX (615 core clocked), Corsair TW3X2G1600C9DHX DDR3 1600, Thermaltake 850W PS

First, what temps are you getting?

Download CoreTemp for your CPU, and Rivatuner for the video card. You can configure Rivatuner to display your GPU temps in-game so you can monitor them in real time, to make sure stuff isn't getting too hot.

If temps check out, then download Memtest86+ and burn it to a bootable medium, then boot off it and run the test for about 4 hours. If you get errors, your RAM is bad.

Do the above, and we'll go from there.

Thanks for the reply.
The video card is running around 55C not gaming and 60-65C gaming.
The cpu is running (according to the nvidea system monitor) around 42 to 46C between the 4 cores. The temp is varying about 4 degrees C. between each core. I hope this is normal.

I haven't done a memory test before but I will do it Saturday.

OK I ran "core temp" and "Riva Tuner" During a game for a about a half hour with no interruptions/freezes and got these readings.

Core Temp:
Core #0 95ºF
Core #2 99ºF
Core #3 106ºF
Core #4 86ºF

Riva Tuner for Vid card:
Core clock\ROP domain Mhz 617.14
Core clock\shader domain Mhz 1350
Mem clock 1107
core temp 61ºC
ambient temp 48ºC
Fan Speed 1379.49
Fan duty cycle% 40
sensor supply voltage 3.28

Then I ran Mem Test last night for approx 6 hrs. It read Pass-10, Fail-0.
Are these readings stable so far?

yes those readings are fine.
does it do it with any other games?
does it do it with multiplayer, single player, or both?
have you updated punkbuster?
have you tried re-installing the game?

If temps check out, then download Memtest86+ and burn it to a bootable medium, then boot off it and run the test for about 4 hours. If you get errors, your RAM is bad.

not neccessarily true (but likely). i was getting COD4 crashes and prime errors and failures with memtest (even with everything set to stock). it was driving me absolutely nuts. turned out i needed a bios update from asus that addressed certain compatiblity issues with C1 stepping yorkfields (which my 9450 is).

Hi and no I dont have any other games but the BF series and I have updated Punkbuster. I have not tried reinstalling the games though. I will try that next then (Tonight). Thank you for the reply.

Hmm, I'll check into a bios update for the FTW. I haven't updated a Bios before but I understand its tricky?

nah not really. i dont know what kind of utilities the EVGA mobo comes with, though. my asus has a windows utility that works like a charm. and even if it does screw up it has a seperate back-up bios chip. with your mobo, you may have to use a floppy, but in any event its not that big of a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom