Dual CPU Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
oops i was on the extended systems spec

well 64 bit XP is only using as much as it can, if 64bit XP can use 16gb of ram then a 64 bit processor must be able to use that much too, what the hell kinda programs are gonna be out that need like 16gb of ram anyway, and terabytes on virtual memory, hardware is way ahead of software at the moment

oh and i got the info from microsoft.com

actually 32-bit has a limit of addressing 4GB memory because:
2^32=4294967296 bytes
=4GB

64-bit has a maximum of:
2^64=18446744073709551616 bytes
=16 sexabytes
note:
1 sexabyte = 1024 pentabytes
1 pentabyte = 1024 Terabytes

now we just have to find a way to make RAM sticks that big

killians45 said:
adobe premier pro 1.5 takes advantage of multiprocessor systems as well as HT
I think this was the only comment on topic LOL
Thanks for your input killians.

HT=?

apokalipse said:
actually 32-bit has a limit of addressing 4GB memory because:
2^32=4294967296 bytes
=4GB

64-bit has a maximum of:
2^64=18446744073709551616 bytes
=16 sexabytes
note:
1 sexabyte = 1024 pentabytes
1 pentabyte = 1024 Terabytes

now we just have to find a way to make RAM sticks that big
Yeah! that would be awesome!

I know back in the day, Adobe Photoshop was (is) coded to handle multiple CPUs (for Macintosh, mostly). I would think that a dual CPU system could be great for video editing assuming there was software written to take advantage of it.

Still, multiple CPUs would still run into bottlenecks accessing memory wouldn't they? I mean they would both be attempting to get stuff from/put stuff to memory over the same bus, right? (Or is this memory dual-ported somehow?)

lets face it, hardware is advancing unevenly, woo hoo 64bit supports 16 sexabytes of ram, we dony have a 2gb ramstick do we? and however many terabytes of virtual memory, dont help that we dont have hard disks that big, not to mention we need some software to run that fast, i'm sure if your using your comp to count how many grains of sand there ae on a beach or the meaning of life the universe and everything it would be useful but apart from that its a whole lot of computer to run a whole lot of nothing, some kind of VR would be great for all that memory, or for physics labs but for your house how much improvement do we really need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom