Looking for good value external hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found the 1TB model on Amazon ($7 cheaper than newegg, surprisingly): Amazon.com: Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 1 TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive WDH1U10000N: Electronics

Thanks for the responses. I love the idea of getting a dock for as many drives as I want, but I honestly don't see the need for anything bigger than a TB in the near future. I think I'm gonna go ahead and put in the order for this $117 1TB one, good move?

I just grabbed a 1tb internal while that one looks good. The newer models do see better ventilation then the first ones out. But I think what was being suggested was the better cooling seen with an enclosure since those will often see cooling fans as well as vents.

I just grabbed a 1tb internal while that one looks good. The newer models do see better ventilation then the first ones out. But I think what was being suggested was the better cooling seen with an enclosure since those will often see cooling fans as well as vents.

Ohh I got ya, for some reason I was focusing on space issues with the enclosure. Guess it's time to make a decision here

The 500gb model here runs quite well despite being confined to the small casing having been stationary for some time. With the vents on top that allows it to fit into a tight space and not run hot where an enclosure is simply too large despite a use for one here at times.

But it also depends on how portable you need it. For long term stationary the larger enclosure idea can suit well since you are able to swap drives out at any time.

For going back and forth from work or school? Then the quick plug and unplug simplifies things for travel. The price at amazon is a break there while newegg has been excellent with anything that had to be returned for some reason.

Great site here, I appreciate the help. I think I'm gonna go with the 1TB Amazon one, I get free shipping from that dumb Amazon Prime trial I signed up for. As a college student the portability will hopefully outweigh any cooling problems I run into. Thanks again guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom